• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi compression specs?

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:02 PM
Reaction score
Rebuild or run with some kind of Mystery oil additive. The engine has not been run for more than 15 years.
Rebuild or just redo the heads?
left bank 85-85-115-102
right bank 115-90-105-107

Yeah, that's some pretty low compression. I think I'd pull it out and see if I could get away with a hone & some fresh rings. If you have no extra cash..... motor honey & run it until it won't start any more.

If I remember back in the day they said to look at 2nd kick and 4th on gauge. 2nd was valves & 4th was rings. If one of the 2nd reading was low compared to rest you had a valve leaking; 4th you were looking at rings seating. Hope this helps.

Next decent day here I am going to start one of them just to hear how it runs.
Yeah, that's some pretty low compression. I think I'd pull it out and see if I could get away with a hone & some fresh rings. If you have no extra cash..... motor honey & run it until it won't start any more.

Took it to a local well known machine shop and he said that those specs did not look all that bad ????.
Since it will not be put into a car and run just for shows without the pump turning any volume of water.

It's a 331... IMHO, I'd pull the plugs, shoot some mystery oil in the cylinders, crank it about 10 rounds, let it set overnight, fire it the next day and heat it up see how it acts. Pull the valve covers and see if it's oiling.. or, tear it down and rebuild if you're worried about damage.. because what I just said will probably scar the bores. But who knows the existing condition ??

Auto Transport Service
Back