• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi Experts in here please

Nxcoupe

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
What do the different numbers on the pad by the distributor mean? No I do not have a pic of it, I just wrestled it around for an hour trying to find every number I could on it. I know it says B426. Casting date is 1-17-66, day shift about 6:25
Any info and examples would be helpful. Thanks.
20220915_164912.jpg
20220915_164823.jpg
20220915_164812.jpg

Edited to make pics easier to read.

Last edited:
What other numbers are stamped on the pad?

Maltese cross. Looks like a date code but there are three numbers stamped, one on the left and one in the center and one on the right. Just want to know if any are build date. Nothing stamped on the bottom oil pan rail.

The 1-17-66 is the engine assembly dare. Maltese cross is about undersized crank, .001 U/S could one or more journals. Look for stamp on #3 outside counter weight. Measure crank to be sure. To the right of the 5 is M for main to left of R rods 5678. 5 main and 5678 rods U/Sed.
acrank.JPG

The 1-17-66 is the engine assembly dare. Maltese cross is about undersized crank, .001 U/S could one or more journals. Look for stamp on #3 outside counter weight. Measure crank to be sure. To the right of the 5 is M for main to left of R rods 5678. 5 main and 5678 rods U/Sed.View attachment 1343050
Isn't that the casting date on the side of the block? Yes, that's what the maltese cross means, but I don't think I have the original crank. However, it still has main bearings in it which I'm going to pull out soon and can post up the part numbers if they are still legible.

Anyone know what the numbers on tge pad mean besides the B426?

Is the 1-17-66 stamped on the pad near the distributor or on the side of the block? If it's on the top pad @Fran Blacker is correct.

This is mine. April 20 assembly date. I don't know or I forget what the sideways T means (see the forget thread). The cross has already been commented on.

20161110_105109 (2).jpg

Is the 1-17-66 stamped on the pad near the distributor or on the side of the block? If it's on the top pad @Fran Blacker is correct.
Casting date is 1-17-66, day shift about 6:25
This is what I wrote. It is cast on the side of the block. I took a pic of the side of the block to post it but it disappeared from my phone. I will get another pic and post it here. My back quit hurting so I'll flip it back around and take a pic of the pad, but I believe the post above covered it for me.

Last edited:
This is mine. April 20 assembly date. I don't know or I forget what the sideways T means (see the forget thread). The cross has already been commented on.

View attachment 1343158
Thank you! Exactly what I wanted to know. What is the second 20 for? I searched and found that thread on the 65 race hemi block and it had numbers stamped on the bottom oil pan rail ear. Mine does not have that so I was confused. I will get pics of everything and post them here dor posterity and search engines.

Post edited to include pics for posterity.

I don't know what the other 20 is. It might be an indication that it's the 20th engine assembled that day. Maybe some of the other Hemi guys know.

This thread has more info:
426 Hemi Engine Pad?

View attachment 1343158
There is a “W” under the assembly date and before the “T” and together I assume it means water test was performed.

BH426 is 1966 hemi
WT is water tested .

Maltese cross is undersize mains,,,,,, I think ?????

And best i remember the 3 is 3rd shift , 2-29 is Feb 29th assy date

Im going off of memory so dont shoot me if Im wrong , cause it aint what it used to be

BH426 is 1966 hemi
WT is water tested .

Maltese cross is undersize mains,,,,,, I think ?????

And best i remember the 3 is 3rd shift , 2-29 is Feb 29th assy date

Im going off of memory so dont shoot me if Im wrong , cause it aint what it used to be
I believe the 3 and 2 are March 2, and the 28 is the 28th engine that day? I mean if you look at the other 66 pad above, he has 4 20 20, which would be 20th month 20th day, otherwise I would have agreed. I think the first 2 are the month and day as that other thread linked here alludes to, however no mention is made of what the far right number means. I would ASSume, that means the number of engines built that day.
Anyone know for sure on that?

Auto Transport Service
Back