• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi hood clearance will it fit

We will see how this plays out. At least I have a plan B. Wonder what springs I will need if I go fiberglass. Possible Suspa gas props?

I think some folks go to the hardware store and use any old weaker spring for like a garage door or whatever... worth a look.

I replaced the hood years back on my 68 GTX and found some springs at our ACE hardware. I just asked figuring by now the hood manufacturers would be offering their own springs. But for now I will try my oem hood and see what clears.

Well the hood does not clear the air filter. I still have the 1 inch carb spacer. Right now it is close enough that the hood will close but it is on the air cleaner. I put a light under the hood and set my camera up for videos while closing. Has any one spaced the k-frame down. I was thinking 1/2 inch would work.

68 Hemi Cuda's and Darts had 1/4" spacers between k frame and frame rails, I believe . A combination of 1/4" and a 1/2" carb spacer?

68 Hemi Cuda's and Darts had 1/4" spacers between k frame and frame rails, I believe . A combination of 1/4" and a 1/2" carb spacer?
I was thinking that I might have to go with a thinner spacer. I have a cheap drop base summit air cleaner for fitment. I think the air horn could still be trimmed 1/8 to 1/4 and still not hit the carb. Looking for ideas.

I had to remove my 1” spacers also to get my stock hood to shut

I have Harwood or is it Moroso, Light weight springs for use with my fiberglass hood. They have 3 different Light weight ratings. I went with the middle of the choices. Holds up my hood fine and easy to close.

Scoop.jpg

Well the hood does not clear the air filter. I still have the 1 inch carb spacer. Right now it is close enough that the hood will close but it is on the air cleaner. I put a light under the hood and set my camera up for videos while closing. Has any one spaced the k-frame down. I was thinking 1/2 inch would work.
Why don't you just try a 1/2" carb spacer instead of messing with the K-frame? Would you get into steering/suspension geometry issues by lowering the frame?

On my 65 I had to use the scoop. With it the single 4 bbl and a modified Slant Six the air cleaner to scoop is about 1/2'' clearance.
With the cross ram we had to space the K 1'' to clear the 65 style hood scoop and no air filter would fit. After changing out to the single 4 bbl it hit me that I could have used the open top filter lids with modified bases. I don't care as I like the single 4 bbl better. It keeps me out of trouble :lol:

Why don't you just try a 1/2" carb spacer instead of messing with the K-frame? Would you get into steering/suspension geometry issues by lowering the frame?
I may have to. Just looking for options. Two reasons I wanted to keep it was it was dynoed with the spacer and made the best numbers. 642 hp and 650 tq. I also thought keeping the spacer may help keep the carb cooler.

I may have to. Just looking for options. Two reasons I wanted to keep it was it was dynoed with the spacer and made the best numbers. 642 hp and 650 tq. I also thought keeping the spacer may help keep the carb cooler.
Just thinking it would be a whole lot easier, and a 1/2" will definitely help with heat soak. The last 2 motors I've had on the dyno we tested with a thin standard gasket and then a 5/16". The 5/16" made 4 more hp, so that's what I always use. Be interesting to know what gain could be had with a 1/2" and a 1". Not that I have room under the hood, but would be curious.

I removed my 1” spacers for same reason hood would not close its a Tim banning hemi. It makes well over 700hp so i called Tim to ask him his opinion , and yes you will lose hp but it was not going to that significant with that much power all ready. And at this point i could even remember what he told me it would be but he is a hemi builder so you could call him and ask his opinion.https://forhemisonly.com/about-us/

I removed my 1” spacers for same reason hood would not close its a Tim banning hemi. It makes well over 700hp so i called Tim to ask him his opinion , and yes you will lose hp but it was not going to that significant with that much power all ready. And at this point i could even remember what he told me it would be but he is a hemi builder so you could call him and ask his opinion.https://forhemisonly.com/about-us/
Are you running a single carb? Any heat related problems without the spacer?

Auto Transport Service
Back