• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi K Frame for 65 Belvedere I

jobenz

Local time
7:52 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone help me determine what Hemi K frame i need to convert my 65 Belvedere I that has a 440 / 512 now to a 426 Hemi ??????? Would there be anything else i would n
Joe

Depends on the block . Some have 440 style mounts, some don't. The 440 mounts may interfere with the headers or manifolds. Even the stock stuff is very close. The 65 K frame mounts the engine forward. Very limited fan clearance. You can move it back to the 66-70 location but the tunnel gets very tight. obviously that requires the trans mount/cross member to be modified as well as the drive shaft. Cutting and enlarging the tunnel is another option. At the end of the day moving the drivetrain back and enlarging the tunnel is the nicest way to go.
Doug

I took a pattern off my 66 Hemi k frame and made the mounts and welded to 65 k frame. Unfortunately I lost/trashed pattern. As DVW said tunnel is tight and some pounding or cutting and welding is needed. With a blow shield a little extra. If you run a 4 speed bellhousing on engine before install. Automatic if you can instaall together???? Need to modify trans mount per DVW. Get some who has a 66 or newer K frame to make a pattern? 70/71 K frames are a little different. Be sure to have your headers and oil pan.
dode pss side eng.jpg
dodge dr side eng.jpg

I'm using a stock V8 K-frame, 63-65, with Schumacher mounts, V8 to Hemi. My Hemi block is MP model, same cast as 440. A friend used the same set up on his 65 Coronet, worked great....

welcome to FBBO ^^^ couple of great & knowledgeable brain-trusts
on these cars have weighed in above

In last post Xram is 1/2" from firewall. Forgot,@ dvw (Doug is my turn piece over correct?) posted these mods to passengers side shock tower. This makes it easier to remove passengers side valve cover. You cut that out and turn it upside down and weld it back in. Lowers shock stud.
dvw.JPG
dvw1.JPG
1965 dogg.jpg
dvw2.JPG

When doing our 65 Belvedere we went with a K frame from Kramer Automotive.
It was built to the factory 65 Hemi spec. Aftermarket Mopar Performance cross ram was close to the firewall but cleared well enough.
The factory cross ram would fit just fine. We also did the shock tower flip.Even with that the fit was tight using the Mopar Performance aluminum valve covers.
Sorry I don't have a good shot of the shock tower flip or firewall to manifold clearance. Car is long gone now.
DSC01102.JPG
DSC01103.JPG
IMG_2732.jpg

Best I got.

I will add it's very easy to push the firewall back. using a bottle jack with an extension (pipe, wood ,etc). Use it to push against a 2x4 laid across the firewall. If you move it over an 1" it will dent it sightly. Notice in the primer pic #1. Also it puts a curve in the body line. But once the engine is in the car it isn't really noticable. The tunnel in mine is cut but the gas pedal remains in the stock location. Mine is still a push button. A Chevy S-10 trans mount works with slight mods. This allows the aluminum shield to fit as well. Mine isn't a hemi. But besides the heads it shows you how everything fits. You can get the right valve cover off with stock mounts and fender well on a hemi but it's tight. We do it on my friends 64 Dodge.
Doug
B149.jpg

P17.jpg
B87.jpg

E30.JPG

Last edited:
I went to the school of Doug on my 65 Belvedere and beyond as I have a GV over drive to stick in the tunnel too.
Mike
IMG_2162.JPG
IMG_2270.JPG
IMG_1591.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1594.JPG

any 6 or v8 can be converted. We weld all 64 - 69 in same place when we do them you may have to modify the transmission Bracket. Mine fits fine in my 65 Dodge. I can doing for you if you want to use the stock Hemi mounts

Auto Transport Service
Back