• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hemi spark plugs

FitzyB5

Local time
1:07 PM
Reaction score
So I would like to know. When changing Hemi plugs. Will there be any damage if you take the plug washer off or leave it on. Which is truly proper method. Some people say it doesn’t matter. Thanks Fitz.

So I would like to know. When changing Hemi plugs. Will there be any damage if you take the plug washer off or leave it on. Which is truly proper method. Some people say it doesn’t matter. Thanks Fitz.

Well, it all depends on which HEMI engine you are referring to....I assume its the 2nd generation or 426 cubic inch variant.
The FSM shows the crush washer is REMOVED from the aluminum tube b4 installing. The spark plug tube acts like the washer. The same idea applies to the slant six, b4 the smaller tapered seat plugs were adopted. Others will have differing opinions.....
BOB RENTON

Last time I changed plugs I left washers on. Do you think I damaged tubes?

Oh yes it does !
I believe you should remove the plug washer !!!
The tubes constitute the thickness of the washer .
And…
IF you use the plug washer with the tubes in place you will mar up the tube & get false torque readings on the plug & probably recess the electrode into the head …
Just FYI , been there done that..
As always it’s ultimately your
Choice !
Mopar2ya
John

I have always removed the washers as per the FSM.

Auto Transport Service
Back