• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hemispherical poly????

SEMIHEMI

Local time
8:10 AM
Reaction score
i spent a few hours with a dude a few days ago,a big moparhead from way back and the convo came around to my poly (318 1966) long story short he said the old hemi heads (pre 426) are a direct bolt on to the poly blocks a few changes in the heads and its as much as a bold on and go so why does the sound of 392 hemi heads w/ a cross ram on a 318 poly block boggle my mind and have my mouth watering....b4 i get to crazy on this idea i figured ide run it past some of yall....any input?

I've heard there is supposed to be a way to use the early Hemi heads on a Poly block. Hot Heads would probably know for sure.

As far as I know, they are the only ones out there that are offering up to "crate" early Hemis

hmmm that name WAS tossed around the convo a few times

They are one of main sources for parts/info for the early hemi motors. I was in contact with them when I was going to build the 392 for my '35. I am sure they would be very helpful to talk to.

I think the hemi swap only works on the 50's polys(like the 315 dodge) which are a bit different fron the later polys.

I'm not sure about your 318 Poly. But I can bolt on early Hemi heads to my '56 270 Poly... the 392 Hemi heads will not fit though, just the smaller CID Hemi heads. If I would do the swap on mine I would look for a set of 270 Hemi heads... just because I'm weird like that. A good place to look would be on the forwardlook web site.

few people know that back in the day the trick setup on a 392 was to use (I think it was) 354 heads and a spacer on the intake. This is supposedly what the big boys did.

the early polysphere was based on the Hemi block and were built in displacements of 241,259,270,301,325,331 and 354. the later polys can not be converted to hemi heads,
BTW they used the 1955 tripple nickel 331 heads with spacers. These heads breathed better than the 392 heads

Auto Transport Service
Back