• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here is why you should be ashamed if you own a ferrari

A buddy of mine has an early Viper and got snubbed for it. He was called a rich ahole (he does have some bucks) for buying that car when he bought it new. I just don't understand why there are people that will shun somebody for what they like in cars or even having some money. This buddy of mine came from a poor family and worked his butt off to get where he is today.....he actually went and lived the American dream and got hammered for it. Imo, people who try to hurt someone's credibility have none of their own and don't have any business calling someone else down for it. I've been around some people like that before and just move on and keep on keeping on doing without them in my life because there's no room in my life for the jealous people of and in the world.
You have a couple types of people in the car community and they all have a disdain for the others. If you're knowledgeable, have skills and work on your own stuff you have no use for the guys that can just buy anything, have no knowledge of it and pay someone else to put air in the tires.

Anyone with a ford f-series truck from as old as 50s has a tchain, just why ferrari cant you use a chain? :BangHead:

You have a couple types of people in the car community and they all have a disdain for the others. If you're knowledgeable, have skills and work on your own stuff you have no use for the guys that can just buy anything, have no knowledge of it and pay someone else to put air in the tires.
And though they are rare, you have an elite few who have the knowledge and skills, and have a boat load of money. A while back, the Wall Street Journal featured a Californian who had made a ton of money on her own, and had a fleet of Ferraris. Her dad had been a car guy, and she had dreamed of owning one from childhood. She had raced and wrenched from early on.

A guy who tried to buy my fifth GTX (bid to 81K at auction last week) fell into the category I think most of us on this site don't have much use for. He had money, but zero knowledge or appreciation of my car other than the fact he knew it would impress others, and he didn't have a Mopar in his collection of over 20 vehicles, which included seven classic Porsches. When I started talking about Chrysler's NASCAR history, and the role the Belvedere platform played in the 60s, he didn't want to hear it, and rolled his eyes. I turned down a generous cash offer, and my wife told me she would have my head if I sold the car to a guy like that for any amount of money.

Last edited:
This guy wasn't like that and I'm talking about car guys who like to be hands on. These days he has a harder time being hands on since he's getting older (he's had some broken bones etc from stuff with wheels...) and I can related to that. How I made it through all the stuff I did without breaking any bones is beyond me but I'm paying for the abuse of my body these days now too. Yeah, I'm not too keen on the ones that know nothing about cars and act like they do and have deep pockets to have others do all the blood work for them but if that's all they can do....well, I don't care. If they're paying I'm playing! :D
And though they are rare, you have an elite few who have the knowledge and skills, and have a boat load of money. A while back, the Wall Street Journal featured a Californian who had made a ton of money on her own, and had a fleet of Ferraris. Her dad had been a car guy, and she had dreamed of owning one from childhood. She had raced and wrenched from early on.

A guy who tried my fifth GTX (bid to 81K at auction last week) fell into the category I think most of us on this site don't have much use for. He had money, but zero knowledge or appreciation of my car other than the fact he knew it would impress others, and he didn't have a Mopar in his collection of over 20 vehicles, which included seven classic Porsches. When I started talking about Chrysler's NASCAR history, and the role the Belvedere platform played in the 60s, he didn't want to hear it, and rolled his eyes. I turned down a generous cash offer, and my wife told me she would have my head if I sold it to a guy like that for any amount of money.
Yeah.....had a few of those come into my life before too. I'm talking about the guy who tried your GTX but I think the girl who wrenched from early on is cool. My X used to like cars and even helped me from time to time in the shop when I was building engines but the first time she came over to help me swap out an 8 3/4 chunk (in 1970), she showed up wearing white jeans. When I questioned her about wearing nice clothing to work on a car she said they were work jeans. I was sitting on a really low chair pulling the axles out when she showed up and with dirty hands I laid on some nice hand prints on her thighs and said Ok, they are now for sure lol. She wasn't happy about that at all but she stayed and helped.

Like owning a '69 Charger, and whining about how hard it is to change the plugs. :rofl:

Plugs are really easy with a Hemi.

Timing belts aren't hard to do either :)

IMG_1295.jpg

Nonono...those are the Jersey Italians...
or SF or SI too :poke:

Just Kidding

a lot of the C4 Corvette guys :poke: were like that too
1/2 unbuttoned silk shirts gold chains on display
& them huge watches too, compensating for something...

again JK

I have friends in both categories, it's all in fun

Last edited:
or SF or SI too :poke:

Just Kidding

a lot of the C4 Corvette guys :poke: were like that too
1/2 unbuttoned silk shirts gold chains on display
& them huge watches too, compensating for something...

again JK

I have friends in both categories, it's all in fun
When I had Mustangs in the mid 70's (had Mopars too) and was in the Mustang club, the local Shelby club had died and some of those guys came to the Mustang club and thought they were still high and pious in the Shelby club....they found out pretty quick that they were NOT high and pious. Oh man....da stories lol

I’m doing a job for a couple now. He’s got 2 Ferraris, a 308 he just likes and a 488 he drives much more. His daily is a Mercedes convertible and his wife’s is a Tesla. He’s a great guy, and she’s a super nice lady. He did move them to storage for the job because his garage is attached and it is quite involved. I’ve done more than a few jobs for high end owners, never had a problem with arrogance. His wife and I were talking and I told her I‘d like to take a ride in her car, (she says she’s an assertive driver) I’d never ridden in one. She said, I’ll give you the keys, you can drive it. There are always egotistical, arrogant people, doesn’t matter what vehicle they drive.

Funny, no one has mentioned Lamborghini yet. Must be nice folks.

no one has mentioned Lamborghini yet
Enzo Ferrari seems like he was a real prick, given the lengths Ford and Lamborghini went to "stick it" up his ***...
Now in Enzo's defense, if I was him, I'd be an intolerable asshole too.
On another note:
The Countach S was one of "those" poster cars, and when I saw and heard what was a new (at the time) Diablo roll past me when I was walking in downtown New Orleans, it was unforgettable! It was a metallic blue, and the rear engine scoop openings were so fine looking (and menacing)!
monterey-blue-2001-l-22.jpg
monterey-blue-2001-l-26.jpg
889-7 lambo slide show at auto vino440x331.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, no one has mentioned Lamborghini yet. Must be nice folks.
Interesting to me, as this seems to be the ride of choice among the elite international students that inhabit Penn State. Hard to go a day without seeing one, a Ferrari, not so common. My Asian insurance agent underwrites most of them. I'll never forget the day she wrote the coverage for Baby Blue, and exclaimed, "this car way cooler than Lamborghini!"

I’m doing a job for a couple now. He’s got 2 Ferraris, a 308 he just likes and a 488 he drives much more. His daily is a Mercedes convertible and his wife’s is a Tesla. He’s a great guy, and she’s a super nice lady. He did move them to storage for the job because his garage is attached and it is quite involved. I’ve done more than a few jobs for high end owners, never had a problem with arrogance. His wife and I were talking and I told her I‘d like to take a ride in her car, (she says she’s an assertive driver) I’d never ridden in one. She said, I’ll give you the keys, you can drive it. There are always egotistical, arrogant people, doesn’t matter what vehicle they drive.
This one made me chuckle, because the most arrogant, egotistical prick I ever worked with drove a Hundai Tiburon. On the other hand, my dad had a close friend who raced against Carroll Shelby back in the day, with a 1957 AC Ace. Past president of the AACA, owned a collection worth millions, including at least one vintage Aston Martin. Modest, nice guy, sparked my interest in the hobby as a kid. You would never have guessed what he was worth.

Auto Transport Service
Back