• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Here's One for the 4 Speed Guys

padam

Local time
5:10 PM
Reaction score
I won street class at Magnolia today.

Feels pretty damn good, 2 years of work finally paid off.

IMG_0238.jpg

I won street class at Magnolia today.

Feels pretty damn good, 2 years of work finally paid off.

View attachment 1322113
Cool beans!! Rowing the gears making it sound like an automatic? :D Loved to hear people asking years back before the OD transmissions were common 'where did you get that 4 speed auto'?!

No, everyone knows it's a four speed, but a lot of people get a kick out of it.

Do you touch the clutch after first gear or just pat the gas pedal at the right RPM? That worked for us but was hard on our sinks in the four speeds. Congrids' on the win.

I use the clutch to shift, and lift the gas slightly for a few reasons.
1. I've seen pictures of teeth ripped off cluster gears, and I think that keeping the gas down must put more stress there.
2. Up until last year I never had a rev limiter, and was afraid of blowing the engine on a missed shift.
3. The car will run pretty consistent shifting like I do. I've done it this way so long I don't have to think about it. If the mechanisms are in good order and adjustment, I rarely miss a shift.

I think I could run quicker power shifting, but I think bracket racers are won or lost 90% on the starting line, so I'm trying to focus on improving that.

Here's a video of me at Dragway 42. I don't have any of the day I won at Magnolia, but in this one you can hear my engine really well.
The 300 was pretty quite but fast!

There is definitely a Gen 3 in my future.

Yep my friend told me those 300s are fast. Your car sounded nice :thumbsup:

Nice video.
I am 100% "SAVE the STICK" for manual transmissions, regardless of how it may affect my drag strip times.
I have invested in the best systems and parts that I know of to make my current "warmed over" 440 6bbl get up and go, but moreso for the 572 that's in the works. If the Passon 5 speed breaks, I'll look at Jericho or G-Force, or maybe another manual transmission that is built for the power I will have.
My HitMaster launch control should be a big plus for performance and help reduce or hopefully prevent parts breaking.
For me, there is NO substitute for what I enjoy doing.
Congratulations!!
The video is poor, but once I got a rev limiter, I started power shifting, keeping the 6bbl open being a big reason for keeping the gas pedal matted, and saw about a 3/10ths improvement in my 1/4 mile times. My buddy commented that "I'm starting to actually shift my car"

and here's a Hemi Cuda 4 speed, that should be an incentive for both of us!
✂️ Manual transmission MONSTER

Nice video.
I am 100% "SAVE the STICK" for manual transmissions, regardless of how it may affect my drag strip times.
I have invested in the best systems and parts that I know of to make my current "warmed over" 440 6bbl get up and go, but moreso for the 572 that's in the works. If the Passon 5 speed breaks, I'll look at Jericho or G-Force, or maybe another manual transmission that is built for the power I will have.
My HitMaster launch control should be a big plus for performance and help reduce or hopefully prevent parts breaking.
For me, there is NO substitute for what I enjoy doing.
Congratulations!!
The video is poor, but once I got a rev limiter, I started power shifting, keeping the 6bbl open being a big reason for keeping the gas pedal matted, and saw about a 3/10ths improvement in my 1/4 mile times. My buddy commented that "I'm starting to actually shift my car"

and here's a Hemi Cuda 4 speed, that should be an incentive for both of us!
✂️ Manual transmission MONSTER

I love sticks!! Used to sit beside my mom in her 51 Plymouth Cranbrook and 'try' to shift it when I was 5! Did eventually learn to without grinding the gears lol. Then in late 56 dad bought her a 56 Plymouth Belvedere Sports Coupe with an automatic. :( The Cranbrook had seen it's better days by then. I came home from the hospital in that 51....

Sweet I can understand the slight lift and shift theory,verses sweeping up broken pieces.i used to be able to do the first to second shift with no clutch had to tap the clutch to make the second to third shift, and could shift third to fourth without the clutch, but it was an 18 spline Hemi box with Liberty gears.

I use the clutch to shift, and lift the gas slightly for a few reasons.
1. I've seen pictures of teeth ripped off cluster gears, and I think that keeping the gas down must put more stress there.
2. Up until last year I never had a rev limiter, and was afraid of blowing the engine on a missed shift.
3. The car will run pretty consistent shifting like I do. I've done it this way so long I don't have to think about it. If the mechanisms are in good order and adjustment, I rarely miss a shift.

I think I could run quicker power shifting, but I think bracket racers are won or lost 90% on the starting line, so I'm trying to focus on improving that.
I always used the clutch too but never let off gas. That stayed matted from start to finish. If you miss a shift, there's room for improvement either with you or the equipment. Are you running a good clutch and shifter? You can lift off the gas between shifts but if things are right, you can do it fast enough to where it still sounds very close to an automatic. You can also add a stop to the clutch pedal to keep you from going past disengagement too much......

I always used the clutch too but never let off gas. That stayed matted from start to finish. If you miss a shift, there's room for improvement either with you or the equipment. Are you running a good clutch and shifter? You can lift off the gas between shifts but if things are right, you can do it fast enough to where it still sounds very close to an automatic. You can also add a stop to the clutch pedal to keep you from going past disengagement too much......
I have done it before, just not confident enough to do it flat out and in a race.

I never power shifted without a rev limiter. I'm already shifting my 440 6bbl at higher than normal RPMs for what I believe is factory 440 6bbl parts. The springs, locks, retainers, lifters, and pushrods were all replaced by me, from necessity, early on. WOW what a difference that made, as the springs were worn but what is assumed by me and others to be the 292°/.509 cam really makes power, all the way to 6k. Only a dyno would convince me otherwise.

I never power shifted without a rev limiter. I'm already shifting my 440 6bbl at higher than normal RPMs for what I believe is factory 440 6bbl parts. The springs, locks, retainers, lifters, and pushrods were all replaced by me, from necessity, early on. WOW what a difference that made, as the springs were worn but what is assumed by me and others to be the 292°/.509 cam really makes power, all the way to 6k. Only a dyno would convince me otherwise.
The only down side to the 6bbl engines were the rod bolts were not upgraded when the rods were upgraded. IIRC, the 4bbl engines also got the 6bbl rods....and the problem of rod failures didn't go away.

Auto Transport Service
Back