• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hernia surgery done.

Bad news around here Neighbor is not doing well they installed a recalled mesh and a contractor guy near by is currently in a law suit for his recalled mesh, both guys are out of work and in great pain.

Crips! Sounds like this is a foregone conclusion to getting old as a man. Hope that I can escape this fate. Glad everyone is healed, and or healing. Hopefully having been in the military right up until age 57, in combat at age 51, and doing the physical work and constant exercise routine, my bod is in good enough shape to hang together during my declining years. lol. I throw around hundreds of bales of hay, keep 600 lb donkeys from running me down, all of the farm work, wrenching and I still exercise regularly. Jeez, hope I can avoid this...that sound like it sucks.
Ghost I asked and never really got a straight answer as to (why ) your the age I first became aware of mine 5 yrs ago.
I have tried to take care of myself through the years, eat right , stay real active and fit , stay at or under 200 lbs.
I think this hernia crap is more of a brain defect, thinking that at 55 / 60 you can lift and do the things you could at 35. Lol
If you think something is to heavy dont just grunt it out, get some help or hydraulics. I used to think this kind of stuff I was immune to. Ha ha think again.
Take care of your self.

Well, I can't speak for others, but obviously from the age I got mine (teen), it wasn't a conditioning
thing. In fact, they determined at the time that it was congenital, inherited from my fathers' side
(remember, he had both sides as well).
First time mine "popped" was when I rared back and let go my first fastball in a game one evening...
I spent several years after that with it and it was "normal" to me - I'd just reach down and pull it back
up.
When it got chronic - and eventually, when I couldn't pull it back up at all, they got all freaky on me
and called it as strangulated (which they then told me could be fatal!).
In fact, since I didn't do anything with it for like 15 years prior, the damage was all the worse, so the
repair surgery (remember, no mesh in those days) was particularly intensive/heavy duty.
Hey, I didn't know...again, it was just sort of "normal" to me.
Yeah, not so much, as it turned out...

They wanted to do a similar surgery to my other side, saying it had the same weakness in the diaphragm
(but no herniation yet) so it would be good to do a "preemptive" surgery on it.
To this day, I've never let them - the first time was traumatic enough, thanks.

Well just a update on the surgery and recovery. All has went pretty good.
I have a active job ( bodyman ) so I did take 2 weeks off .
Doc had me on a 10 then 20 lb. Weight limit
3rd week I got back in the shop doing light stuff ect.
This past week #4 I am still careful about weight but back to full work.
If I need a truck tire off or on I holler at my brother. ( I will be riding this one awhile ) :D

All in all it's not been to bad, pretty well pain free after week 2 , but that's when you have to watch yourself. Lol.
I know lots of guys put up with hernias for years. I was one of them. For every horror story you hear there are a thousand that turn out fine. If you need it fixed go do it you be glad you did.

Well just a update on the surgery and recovery. All has went pretty good.
I have a active job ( bodyman ) so I did take 2 weeks off .
Doc had me on a 10 then 20 lb. Weight limit
3rd week I got back in the shop doing light stuff ect.
This past week #4 I am still careful about weight but back to full work.
If I need a truck tire off or on I holler at my brother. ( I will be riding this one awhile ) :D

All in all it's not been to bad, pretty well pain free after week 2 , but that's when you have to watch yourself. Lol.
I know lots of guys put up with hernias for years. I was one of them. For every horror story you hear there are a thousand that turn out fine. If you need it fixed go do it you be glad you did.
Good its working out for you. Im waiting for my call on monday to go in. I just want it done and over with.

Been there!! Glad you're doing well!!

Good its working out for you. Im waiting for my call on monday to go in. I just want it done and over with.
Good deal slimt, couple ice packs helps a bunch, but they will explain all that stuff.

Good deal slimt, couple ice packs helps a bunch, but they will explain all that stuff.

Nice. Im looking forward to this. Get it done befoe spring and summer. Get back to a normal life.
Thanks for the info.

I had it years ago(1994), I had five of them in one hit . from one side to my bellybutton used the mesh to fix it. 2 weeks off, and then back to work

I remember after I had mine repaired, out patient. I got up and thought this is nothing, still numb from the many locals I was given. I told them, I feel good enough to go to work tomorrow or at least in a day or two. 4 or 5 hours later when the locals had wore off I felt like someone punched me in the dick with a telephone poll. I quickly changed my mind!!

I remember after I had mine repaired, out patient. I got up and thought this is nothing, still numb from the many locals I was given. I told them, I feel good enough to go to work tomorrow or at least in a day or two. 4 or 5 hours later when the locals had wore off I felt like someone punched me in the dick with a telephone poll. I quickly changed my mind!!

I hear you, I had mesh left and right sides , I was home by 2:30 that same day. Felt great walking up and down the hall with the nurse,
Chair ride to the front door, wife drove home, hell this ain't no big thing,
Evening news , i had the ice bag on . Slept in my recliner 1st couple nights.
1st couple days if I dropped something on the floor it was staying there.lol
Its sore for a few days for damn sure.

Man... I wonder why mine was so bad? I couldn't eat for 5 days and lost 10lbs the first week. The gas pain was horrible the first few days. My mid section is still sore.

Man... I wonder why mine was so bad? I couldn't eat for 5 days and lost 10lbs the first week. The gas pain was horrible the first few days. My mid section is still sore.
Sorry your repair was tuff on you.
I have heard that before, prob has alot to do with size of repairs ect.
I was lucky and only had aprox 4" cut on each side.
Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I keep saying, this year I’ll get it done. It’s my little ( getting bigger ) alien. I can’t go anywhere without the belt. How long before you could go back to work, bud?

I keep saying, this year I’ll get it done. It’s my little ( getting bigger ) alien. I can’t go anywhere without the belt. How long before you could go back to work, bud?
2 weeks for me Demonram, then I was careful with what I was doing.
After the 1st week I was at the shop doing some estimates on the pc ect but no physical stuff.
For me it felt better each day.

2 weeks for me Demonram, then I was careful with what I was doing.
After the 1st week I was at the shop doing some estimates on the pc ect but no physical stuff.
For me it felt better each day.
That’s gonna be the problem, no physical stuff. I am loaded with work and with remodeling there ain’t no light work. I’m already booked through mid April now. Thanks for the info sir.

Were you put under or general anesthetic???
I'm having mine done Tuesday

That’s gonna be the problem, no physical stuff. I am loaded with work and with remodeling there ain’t no light work. I’m already booked through mid April now. Thanks for the info sir.
I understand, I am a bodyman but have my brother in the same shop.
Hope you get a slack time were you can get fixed up.

Auto Transport Service
Back