• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Pressure hose routing/condensor question

RamTech

Local time
8:25 AM
Reaction score
Thank you in advance for any help, heres my question; I'm attempting to put factory a/c into my bosses '68 Road Runner 383 automatic. We purchased "Everthing under the hood" from Tony's parts. The stuff set around for over a year until the car came back out of storage and now I'm trying to sassemble it. The condensor did not fit the radiator support, I'm not sure if the condensor is for vehicle with the smaller radiator ( this one is the 26" radiator ) or for a different vehicle. When I attempt to locate a condensor for a '68 Road Runner I can only find '69-'70. I found a condensor for an A body that looks just like this one. I made brackets to get it mounted to the radiator support while I try to figure everthing else out also.

My next question is about the high presure hose between the compressor and the condensor. It looks like it needs to go under the battery tray and through the radiator support but the end that attatches to the condensor doesn't quite make the angle needed to get to the condensor. The pictures I've found on the web shows the hose routing behind the battery and over the top of the radiator support.

Are these simply the wrong pieces? If so, where would be able to locate the correct ones? Or am I just putting things in the wrong place? The brackets I made don't quite place the condensor in just the right position, but I was just trying to mock tjhings up to make sure I everything else correct.

1673448955607.jpeg
1673449003313.jpeg
1673449031312.jpeg
1673449071677.jpeg

You have a real crap shoot there. You need to find someone with a 68 b-body 383 for visuals and measurements. Myself I would of went with newer components and a universal condenser and hose kit. I did not want the hoses under the battery because of my Hemi being so darn big and no a/c was offered with the Hemi so I was kind of on my own. I bought the Chinese knock off hose crimp-er which worked very well.

Thank you.
The car's never going to be a 100 point car, but I was trying to keep to factory appearing. It was orignally a factory ac car.

Wrong condenser for sure. All 66-70 B-bodies with factory A/C had a 26” radiator

The hose to the condenser coming off the driver side goes like this: compressor to a metal line with a muffler, that hooks to a rubber line that hooks to a line that runs along the top of the inner fender over the fender tag and connects to the condenser. There are clamps that screw it to the inner fender. There is also a large suction line that runs across the intake by the throttle linkage and has rubber towards the back that will connect to the evap core. I would highly recommend a FSM there are pics in it, also bracketed is 68 and down as is the clutch if you want correct. Dave wise book would help too.

The hose to the condenser coming off the driver side goes like this: compressor to a metal line with a muffler, that hooks to a rubber line that hooks to a line that runs along the top of the inner fender over the fender tag and connects to the condenser. There are clamps that screw it to the inner fender. There is also a large suction line that runs across the intake by the throttle linkage and has rubber towards the back that will connect to the evap core. I would highly recommend a FSM there are pics in it, also bracketed is 68 and down as is the clutch if you want correct. Dave wise book would help too.
Thank you! I did finally find a picture that shows that exact routing. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an FSM? I have a '69 service manual PDF, but it isn't much help with this situation.
1673532743714.jpeg

The next question would be where to get the lines to and from the condenser?
I've searched Classic Industries and Year One and Google. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Also, thank you Kilrbee for the link to the correct condenser!

Factory service manuals are avail on eBay . The lines will be a hunt!

I think the condensor is the same for a B body from 1966 thru 1970, and the condensor you have is NOT it.

The lines how ever changed from year to year

Thank you gtx6970! I see the picture I posted had the low pressure line running on the right side and the 68 runs on the left side of the carb.

I found the liquid line from the condenser to the receiver/drier and a discharge hose from the muffler to the condenser but its for up to early 67. The description says that later vehicles had the hose crimped to the muffler, but I have a muffler that will thread to the hose.
Does this sound like it would work?
Judging by the picture of a 68 the gtx6970 posted it looks like it has a threaded hose to the muffler.
1674246829676.png
1674246849125.png

Most 68s I've seen have the two pc line so if you have a muffler to compressor you should be in business.

Auto Transport Service
Back