• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holley carb on my spread bore 440 manifold.

Iceman55, just thought of something, check the throttle bore diameters of the adapter you pick. Now that I think of it, some early adapters were sized for the smaller Carter & small Holley carbs. You want one for the larger Holley throttle bores.

Iceman55, just thought of something, check the throttle bore diameters of the adapter you pick. Now that I think of it, some early adapters were sized for the smaller Carter & small Holley carbs. You want one for the larger Holley throttle bores.

Thank you for the input it is very helpful.
0311192201_HDR.jpg

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Holley makes a
#4165 mec. sec. 650cfm #0-6210
or #4175 vac. 650cfm #0-9895
spread-bore dbbl pumper or vac. sec. carb too

they use to have larger cfm version, call them & ask them
1-866-464-6553

Chevy's used them,
IIRC, I think some were as big as 830-850cfm
on BB's mostly, some 350hp SBC & some (vettes) BBC's too

there's also the "new" Street Demon carbs
IIRC can be had in spread-bore replacements for
GM/Quadrajets or Chr./Thermoquads style baseplate

If an adapter is a height issue

but;
that doesn't look like a spread-bore/Themoquad
small primary & large secondary manifold
looks like a square bore, both bores are the same size

Last edited:

Holley makes a

1-866-464-6553

Chevy's used them,

but;

Holley makes a

1-866-464-6553

Chevy's used them,

but;
Agreed, looks like a square bore to me. Mine was waaaaay different with clearly noticeable size differences. You might want to find a gasket that fits the carb then lay it on the intake and compare because it looks like that Holley should bolt right on.

Also I noticed a large machine gasket surface on the left, sit your Holley on there and make sure none of the linkage hits that surface preventing it from sealing.

0311192103_HDR.jpg
I am learning a lot putting the gtx together. I enjoy restoring parts but am learning the mechanical as I go along. The manifold could be a spread bore as you say but I still have clearance issues. I believe it is the sec pump cam that is hitting the manifold.
Meant to say square bore as you say. I did not think it was a square bore because of the 4 round bores.

Last edited:

Thanks, I will see if purple brewer's trick will help to see if there are clearance issues.

Sorry purple beeper!

Last edited:
View attachment 733287 I am learning a lot putting the gtx together. I enjoy restoring parts but am learning the mechanical as I go along. The manifold could be a spread bore as you say but I still have clearance issues. I believe it is the sec pump cam that is hitting the manifold.
(Meant to say square bore as you say. I did not think it was a square bore because of the 4 round bores.)

Again "spread bore" refers to 2 small primary throttle bore with 2 MUCH larger secondary bores. I forgot about the linkage interference problem. A 1/2" spacer/adapter takes care of that. The '70 manifold should have the correct carb mounting bolt pattern. As said, use the Holley gasket to verify both carb & manifold bolt patterns match, turn 90* to be sure.

Again "spread bore" refers to 2 small primary throttle bore with 2 MUCH larger secondary bores. I forgot about the linkage interference problem. A 1/2" spacer/adapter takes care of that. The '70 manifold should have the correct carb mounting bolt pattern. As said, use the Holley gasket to verify both carb & manifold bolt patterns match, turn 90* to be sure.

Auto Transport Service
Back