• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Holy Sh!t!

My car is pretty solid but I got an estimate of $6500 but he can't really tell until he sands blast it so I imagine that number will change. I'm paying $8000 for my engine rebuild, that's having everything done.

8 grand, wow. My Coronet's 440 was already rebuilt years ago so I didn't have to touch that, but my '68 GTO's 400 was never rebuilt. Paid "just" around $5000 for a full teardown and rebuild last year with premium parts -- and that's in Bay Area dollars. Are Mopar rebuilds that much more?

8 grand, wow. My Coronet's 440 was already rebuilt years ago so I didn't have to touch that, but my '68 GTO's 400 was never rebuilt. Paid "just" around $5000 for a full teardown and rebuild last year with premium parts -- and that's in Bay Area dollars. Are Mopar rebuilds that much more?

From what I was researching that is around what a mopar cost. Definitely not cheaper than Chevy! I used all premium parts like forged pistons and such.

From what I was researching that is around what a mopar cost. Definitely not cheaper than Chevy! I used all premium parts like forged pistons and such.
I'm thinking your getting off kinda cheap at 8k. It's gonna be a new car when you get it back.

Congrats on getting it to the paint shop! I hope your time/ money schedule works out. My GTX has been gone over a year and a half and the cost is getting astronomical I also hope to get it back by the end of the year...

One of my friends that owns a sandblasting and painting company in Aurora blasted my 68 GTX
for $1200.00. All of the prep and bodywork I did by myself, and I purchased all of my material.
I painted the underside, engine compartment, interior, and trunk area myself. I'm paying the $2500.00
to $3k for the masking, wipe down, and final clean and apply the B.C. &Clear coat. I will be doing the
color sanding and buffing. All of those prices seem right on the mark as far as I'm concerned. I
wouldn't let my car be in paint jail. Everything known up front, or they don't get the car. I don't
want to have to use any ammunition!

Congrats on getting it to the paint shop! I hope your time/ money schedule works out. My GTX has been gone over a year and a half and the cost is getting astronomical I also hope to get it back by the end of the year...

Why is it taking so long?

Wow $3000 to mask, clean, shot! I paid a bud $500 a few years back for that and I thought he raped me!! lol... So I do all my own. I know, I am old and living in another world. Last time I paid for a Big Mac it was $1.50!!!!!!! lol

Why is it taking so long?
I had quite a bit of work done! I removed a tree from the boulevard with it many years ago. But, I supplied a really nice front clip and a hood. I knew it needed new floor pans and a fender. After stripping it to bare metal they replaced both rear quarter panels and I wanted frame connectors and torque boxes installed. They fixed a bunch of other **** that needed fixing. It basically came down to how fast I could pay them. We worked month by month on what I could afford and a month or so ago I ran out of money. They got the whole car green but still need to paint a few things black. It is a high class shop so I'm pretty confident that I'll be getting a GTX back that is way nicer than what the factory ever put out! Keep your fingers crossed that your Runner isn't hiding a bunch of unseen damage.

Plymouth_GTX_70_001_0960.JPG

Here's how she sits now (I think)! The shop hasn't said much since I told them I'm broke! Ha ha!!

I had quite a bit of work done! I removed a tree from the boulevard with it many years ago. But, I supplied a really nice front clip and a hood. I knew it needed new floor pans and a fender. After stripping it to bare metal they replaced both rear quarter panels and I wanted frame connectors and torque boxes installed. They fixed a bunch of other **** that needed fixing. It basically came down to how fast I could pay them. We worked month by month on what I could afford and a month or so ago I ran out of money. They got the whole car green but still need to paint a few things black. It is a high class shop so I'm pretty confident that I'll be getting a GTX back that is way nicer than what the factory ever put out! Keep your fingers crossed that your Runner isn't hiding a bunch of unseen damage.

Good luck, it sounds like its going to be real nice! Yeah, I'm a little afraid of what it may be hiding. Its supposed to get sand blasted tomorrow or Monday.

The thing I don't understand is when a shop has a car just sitting around and no one
is working on it, Storage fees usually apply. $125.00/day is usually what they charge an insurance company
on a collision car. So, I guess what I'm saying is, Both parties have to know what the workscope is going to
be and how much the bill will be and when it will be done. Without knowing all these things up front, someone
is bound to get screwed. My guy will have my car about a week, and I'll have it back. Done. Period!No paint jail.
Cover Your ***!

15 miles down the road was a small town body shop that did what ever. The guy had been in jail for wife abuse, assult and battery etc. He had a guys 32 Ford rod and when the guy went to check on it, half the parts had been sold off it on feebay !!!! The shop guy did not go to jail on it either The owner of the bldg. threw him out for not paying rent.
I know another trustin soul that gave another shop in this same small town $6000 to do a pickup and 3 yrs later the shop had never touched it!!!!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back