• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood latch color

Paul_G

Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
What color should the hood latch and the safety release handle be?

The latch itself should be metal color or natural.
The lever/catch is black.
What I usually do with natural metal stuff is clear coat it so it doesn't get nasty & pitted.
My 2 cents.

I will use a clear coat on the latch. I have been using Dupli Color roll bar and chassis satin on the brackets and other things that need to be black. I will use a flat black on the front of the core support and other braces that can be seen through the grille. Is that what you guys do as well?

Not sure how correct, I am only going by what I see at car shows and mostly Carlisle where many are restored to original.
I used "Trim Paint" which is not satin but not gloss.
TP70_030310.jpg
WP_20160716_013.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure how correct, I am only going by what I see at car shows and mostly Carlisle where many are restored to original.
I used "Trim Paint" which is not satin but not gloss.
View attachment 1049984 View attachment 1049983
Sorry to hijack the thread, your car is a beauty Bob. As I was going through the latter stages on my restoration I referred to your restoration page. So to get back on track I would trust what you advise as I know how much research you did during your restoration.

Thank you Ray, much appreciated.
The only thing not "technically" not correct on the car is the hood. I still have the original hood but I always wanted a bulge hood.
And when doing the restoration I couldn't find a 73 hood anywhere. Then this 71 Superbee hood came along and it was a great price. I purchased it at first thinking I could get someone to trade a 73 hood with me but was not to be had.
So I thought well, if it's not correct, let it be really not correct.
Now I mention this because the it is not a direct fit. It's been discussed before, the lip is longer on the 71 and will not allow the hood to close with the 73 bumper braces in place. So I had to have the hood modified to work and still keep the correctness of the brackets which incidentally are the same color as the hood release handle.
IMG_20200428_135642.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back