• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hood scoop

daredevil

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
My Dominator sticks thru the hood on my 66 Coronet about 3 inches. What scoop can yawl reccomend or what do you think would look best. Pictures are encouraged. thanks,I know yawl will help steer me the right way.

Pete, if this will clear (and perhaps you can get one an inch or two taller) the air cleaner(s), this would be my first choice.

1967_Dodge_HEMICoronetSuperStock1.jpg

mopp_0604_09z+1965_dodge_coronet+headlight.jpg

That's a WO23 scoop and I agree that scoop looks SOOOO good on the 66-67 B-Body cars. They are making that scoop in both the original 2.5" high version and also a 5" tall version, which you might want to check out to clear your engine set-up. The one on my 66 Coronet is the 2.5" tall version that I bought back in 1989 and I LOVE it, but the company that I bought mine from is no longer around, but I'd check out AAR Fiberglass, as they make pretty nice fiberglass parts. I can't remember if they make the 5" tall version though.

Richard

1966Coronet500-frontsideview.gif

1966Coronet-WO23hoodscoop.gif

1966Coronet500-WO23hoodscoop.gif

1966Coronet500-Nov20087.gif

VFN Fiberglass makes the WO23 scoop in both 3" and 5" versions. I plan on getting the 5" version for my GTX, someday. I recall reading an article where a Chrysler engineer claimed these scoops didn't do a very good job at the stock height and location. The air coming off the leading edge of the hood just went right OVER the scoop. Maybe use the 5" and mount it a little further forward, or you could even use the '68 Hemi Cuda/Dart scoop.

Chrysler engineers didnt have a big dominator stuck inside it either. I just need to cover the carb in case of rain.

VFN Fiberglass makes the WO23 scoop in both 3" and 5" versions. I plan on getting the 5" version for my GTX, someday. I recall reading an article where a Chrysler engineer claimed these scoops didn't do a very good job at the stock height and location. The air coming off the leading edge of the hood just went right OVER the scoop. Maybe use the 5" and mount it a little further forward, or you could even use the '68 Hemi Cuda/Dart scoop.

That is correct. The 69 six pack hood is probably marginal in catching the air. Cowl induction actually works better and Mopar was using it on their NASCAR cars in the 60s. there is a high pressure air area at the base of the windshiled on a car.

IIRC, the T/A scoop was supposed to be one of the best designs for dealing with the dead "boundary air" layer.

I have a 73-74 Duster/Dart scoop, which is a simillar design, and I think the lines go very well with the 66-67 body lines.

Of course the WO/RO scoop IS period correct.

I'll go against the grain here and say the original size, at speed, will catch quite a bit of air. Mine on my '66 Coronet ripped off the hood at 100mpg right before going through the traps. I had a velocity stack trimmed and fitted underneath.

From my view point it was "Wow..the middle of the scoop is lifting <scoop gone>"
It literally disappeared straight up!
Didn't even touch the car.

Flipping in almost a straight up fashion, it went as high as the timing scoreboard.

It landed close enough to the return road at Atco that I jumped the rail and picked it up on the way back. My friends thought the hood came off, since at that distance seeing a large square object flinging through the air it's hard to judge.

The lower scoops at higher speeds will grab air. At lower speeds the higher scoops will grab more air. Both will get you cold air..which is the the real point when clearance isn't an issue.

I'll go against the grain here and say the original size, at speed, will catch quite a bit of air.

And you would be dead wrong as determined long ago with wind tunnel testing.

Mine on my '66 Coronet ripped off the hood at 100mpg right before going through the traps. I had a velocity stack trimmed and fitted underneath.

From my view point it was "Wow..the middle of the scoop is lifting <scoop gone>"
It literally disappeared straight up!
Didn't even touch the car.

And the reason for all of this is that the air that ripped it off was coming from under the car and through the grille and had less to do with the air that was being buffered by the front of the hood scoop. If it would have been from the hood scoops leading edge and was peeled off from front to back and likely would have blown back rather than straight up. The straight up lift off indicates as said, air from under the hood pushing up more evenly on the entire under scoop.

Flipping in almost a straight up fashion, it went as high as the timing scoreboard.

It landed close enough to the return road at Atco that I jumped the rail and picked it up on the way back. My friends thought the hood came off, since at that distance seeing a large square object flinging through the air it's hard to judge.

The lower scoops at higher speeds will grab air. At lower speeds the higher scoops will grab more air. Both will get you cold air..which is the the real point when clearance isn't an issue.

Low scoops actually serve a better purpose of releasing hot engine compartment air rather than feeding cool air to the carb. This is why the front of the grille tube/air cleaner set ups became more popular.

I think you missed the part where I said there was a velocity stack sealed to the bottom of the hood, so it didn't get forced off from air from the engine compartment. Round hole size of stack.

heres mine with 5" afx scoop. also my 65 dodge with regular hemi hood scoop.
i think you'll need the tallerr one for the dominator.

Attachments

• pinks.etown mopar day .65 dodge.65 hemi belvedere 020.JPG
    pinks.etown mopar day .65 dodge.65 hemi belvedere 020.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 2,025
  • YORK CAR SHOW 2010.BEST MACHINE 65 DODGE 003.JPG
    YORK CAR SHOW 2010.BEST MACHINE 65 DODGE 003.JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 2,702
I think you missed the part where I said there was a velocity stack sealed to the bottom of the hood, so it didn't get forced off from air from the engine compartment. Round hole size of stack.

No, I didn't miss it and in fact it even reinforces my point. Think about water pressure in various size hoses, same source but smaller outlet the smaller the outlet the greater the pressure. Same thing here the air from ounder the hood is pushing directly against the hood around the velosity stack.

Anyway, my point to this was that the shorter hoods are of very little effect for the ram air effect that they were trying to acheive back in the day and they learned this when wind tunnel test began. Interestingly they didn't use in until the late 60s and that is when the Daytonas and Superbirds came into existance, a direct result of wind tunnel testing. This is also why those cars were equipped with front air dams. They are to keep the air from entering under the front of th car in the engine compartment and pushing up against the underside of the hood and lifting the car.

I can tell you that from driving these old hipo cars when new at 150 mph by the factory speedo, in a straight-away you could quickly move the steering wheel back and forth about an inch or two and the car would not react and continue straight as the front wheels were actually planeing like on wet pavement hydro-planeing.

Hey Superstockracer that Black car looks total Badass, Great car!!!

Wow,I had forgotten this thread. Glad to see new life to it. Even if some agree to disagree.

Hey Superstockracer that Black car looks total Badass, Great car!!!

Thanks DANTRAP, I bought it as a roller and redid the chassis to a 25.5, added a B1 TS Motor and a Protrans.727 torqueflite.
I had to reconfigure the hoodscoop 3/4" taller to give my SV1's some breathing room.
The hood scoop are getting repainted now and being refiberglassed.

Auto Transport Service
Back