• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horn blows when steering wheel turns

Jc cooper

Second gear fun!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:17 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys , anyone ever had problem with the horn blowing at different spots as the steering wheel turns on 67 Gtx ! Thanks in advance!

Thanks for your reply, after investigating the issue, repair was completed!

Thanks for your reply, after investigating the issue, repair was completed!
....and.....

1691191122567.png

The car has an aftermarket, walnut stainless spoke wheel on it , with the Grant adapter, the adapter has a disc used to make contact with the oem roller contact , the adapter had been over tightened, along with the wheel, which caused to much contact with disc and the roller, causing the ultra thin copper surface to be damaged, in random areas, so as the steering wheel was turned, it would find ground and honk ! Another adapter kit , was purchased and installed, to correct the issue! And now the cruiser is back on the road ! 67 Gtx !

984E3D7D-2F4A-40DF-A5CB-C23A9A79DD2C.jpeg

I have a Grant wheel, and yes, the adapter disc was definitely showing wear on the copper disc a bit where it contacts the roller.

The wheel in the video looks like a Grant also. Maybe this is the problem, however, the electrical tape over the screw fixed mine.

I plan on going with a similar wheel to yours and will replace the kit when I do that.

Thanks for that update. :thumbsup:

My wheel arrived several years ago as I was building the car , looked, pretty good , but I knew it could be better , so I taped the stainless up quite well and polished it with 0000 steel wool, multiple times, until it was very nice! Ordered some McCloskey marine varnish in rattle can ! Sprayed five times and wooled each time up till the last ! Finish turned out like a Diamond! This product is said to be used on high end yachts!

Just consulted the FSM and 24ft/lbs is what they have for the steering wheel nut. I doubt I ever torqued it to that, likely just cranked it on. Hopefully that will be compatible with the Grant hub.

No , be careful with the torque, the aluminum hub is soft and will not take much torque! That probably is the beginning of my problem, pushed hub To deep on the shaft!

Just consulted the FSM and 24ft/lbs is what they have for the steering wheel nut. I doubt I ever torqued it to that, likely just cranked it on. Hopefully that will be compatible with the Grant hub.

I did my stock wheel 24ft/lbs. I did it 5ft/lbs at a time and the last 4lbs made me cringe!

OK, will definitely keep that in mind.
Ok , her is permanent fix , removed Grant horn button adapter, took a used pilot bushing , cut it’s length down to half and installed to keep adaptor from going to deep and removing to much pressure from the horn contact and just enough to make consistent pressure! Added dialectic grease ! Problem resolved! Hope this helps others!

Ok , her is permanent fix , removed Grant horn button adapter, took a used pilot bushing , cut it’s length down to half and installed to keep adaptor from going to deep and removing to much pressure from the horn contact and just enough to make consistent pressure! Added dialectic grease ! Problem resolved! Hope this helps others!

:xscuseless:

My stock wheel in my 69 Satellite convert has been beeping when turning since I got it. I thought I fixed it but nope. I ended up unplugging my horn and now I just yell out the window and use my finger. Maybe now I can fix it.

Auto Transport Service
Back