• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Horse Power VS Hood clearance

My 906 Exhaust ports after "Gasket matching".
20201030_150435.jpg
20201030_150357.jpg

The exhaust port on the OE heads doesn’t need to be opened up anywhere near that much.
Especially if you’re targeting hp in the mid-500’s.

The size of the gaskets that are used for stock ex manifolds is plenty big.

Don't know, don't care! Just going by what the old timers taught me. After the power stroke,
anything yo do to evacuate the chamber helps. I'm not trying to squeeze out every single HP
out of the engine, just trying to make it more efficient without spending BooKoo Bucks. The
secret to making an engine make HP is how efficient it takes air in, or "Flows". After the plug
fires, the important part is over. Mine is a street engine, so the headers and exhaust system
will give it enough back pressure to do all the Magic.
This exhaust port IS opened up to the stock gasket size!

This is the ex side of the TF240 heads.
Like what has been used OOTB on several builds that make over 700hp.

Notice the small exhaust ports.

C3E7098A-C710-4DB5-B1E2-EE7D06F2942B.png

Don't know, don't care! Just going by what the old timers taught me. After the power stroke,
anything yo do to evacuate the chamber helps. I'm not trying to squeeze out every single HP
out of the engine, just trying to make it more efficient without spending BooKoo Bucks. The
secret to making an engine make HP is how efficient it takes air in, or "Flows". After the plug
fires, the important part is over. Mine is a street engine, so the headers and exhaust system
will give it enough back pressure to do all the Magic.
This exhaust port IS opened up to the stock gasket size!
I'm not trying to squeeze out every single HP
fires, the important part is over.
Agreed,
As you know efficiency is measured in CFM, my point CFM needed to meet my goal concerning my under hood clearance!

Last edited:
Yeah, my Gaskets measure 1.450 X 1.75. They're for the headers. Here is the spec sheet on the 240's.
You really got your ports S M O O T H E ! The TF 240 Exhaust ports are 1.25 X 1.65 oval.
20210724_125138.jpg
20210724_125155.jpg

The rear main seal leaks I've heard of before. I read that the aluminum seal carriers were machined separately
from the blocks, so the bores were different side to side but not up and down. Gonna check mine for concentricity
before I button it up! I bought a Viton two-piece. Hope i chose the right one!

I'm not trying to squeeze out every single HP
fires, the important part is over.
Agreed,
As you know efficiency is measured in CFM, my point CFM needed to meet my goal concerning my under hood clearance!

Honestly, you're focusing on the wrong weak links (exhaust head flow and hood clearance) for a 525 build.

This build is north of 500 hp in a 67.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1335/q4AFaC.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, you're focusing on the wrong weak links (exhaust head flow and hood clearance) for a 525 build.

This build is north of 500 hp in a 67.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/1335/q4AFaC.jpg
Very possible, however I've found in my years of building cars most (not saying you) state a lot of HP numbers but never really do the DYNO work. You and PRHEADS along with a few other have posted info that makes since. To be honest I'm looking to build my first MOPAR engine in 40 years. the last Mopar was back i the early 80`s. Im doing this for two reasons first I was fortunate enough to pick up 3 cars. and second I'm tired of the same old GM thing. That being said I'm looking to drive the GTX WITHOUT having to reinvent the wheel or monkey with a bunch of know issues.
one thing I have learned to trust my DYNO sim program. it seems to be somewhat close. however it cant teach experience that come from working with a certain car type. that would be why I've ask the question.

wow, lots of good info looks like the TF240 powerport heads will more that meet the issues. the rest seems to be in making it all fit. and a proper cam selection.

THANKS TO EVERYONE

TF 240.JPG

Our first aluminum heads we got in the early 90s were lightly cleaned up MP stage vi's they flowed a modest 268cfm int 200cfm exhaust. The 440 was dynoed 560hp@6100 550ft lbs at 4000. When it was in our charger I never got to run a full pass. It starved for fuel and died as soon as I shifted into drive. 12.38@99. It was scary in a stock car so the stage VI engine went over to a 70 cuda. It typical went 10.80@121. We later gained a half second e.t. porting the stage vI heads. We went from 268 to 330 on the intake 200 to 245 on the exhaust. I had never experienced such a big performance change... porting those heads made it into a different car.

IMG_3806.jpg CA904EBF-3786-41C5-BF1F-04E54D55E215.jpeg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back