• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How about some Torque & twist

Aerodynamicists knew in the sixties that that body style corvette had way too much body lift, and would get "light" at high speed.
That car had a rear spoiler that had too little angle of attack to provide downforce, and had NOTHING at the front to help with downforce, not even the factory splash pan. The promod bodies of 63 split windows have completely altered shapes, and lots of downforce at the front.

That is my "home track" Gulfport Dragway! The guy in the Corvette was doing VERY well in the "class" he ran in which was basically the Street Outlaws type racers. In fact, Shannon Poole was on a lot of the Street Outlaws New Orleans shows, and he ran a lot on tracks in the south.
Here's an excerpt from an article about that day:
Drag racer Shannon Poole, who features in Discovery’s popular Street Outlaws: New Orleans reality TV series, was uninjured after crashing his C2 Corvette while racing at Gulfport Dragway on Sunday.
Poole was racing in the Fat Tuesday Mardi Gras Blowout at Gulfport Dragway when the front end of his 1964 Corvette began to lift at speed, sending the car flying in the air before it came crashing down into the pavement nose-first, erupting in a ball of flames

2iLV.gif

Damn that was nasty...

I hope he was OK...
after the second wheels up in the air, he had to fly for 150ft
went airborne
Came down hard too, looked like 1/2 on the wall
& the dirt next to the track...

looked to be a nice fast Pontiac-bodied racecar, a GTO/Lemans (?)
maybe 275 (radial) class (?), didn't look like a really big rear tire
the track was really shinny, so it probably wasn't the no prep stuff
It looked like a 4.18 (? maybe) something in the 1/8th mile,
I didn't see MPH, I watched it several times too

Guy had the rear low, was thinking that might happen. That low *** end didn't help.

Auto Transport Service
Back