• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How accurate are the stock gauges?

Myasylum

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
How accurate are the stock gauges?

I have a 72 Satellite that has rally gauges which is super cool, if I trust them? Oil pressure seems low, and coolant temp never moves more than 1/8 of an inch (maybe that's a good thing) but these gauges are 50 years old.
Is there after market gauges that fit in the stock holes?
Oh and I don't have a tach, I have a dumb clock that don't work, and the speedometer don't work either.
What to you guys suggest?
Thanks!

Have your cluster rebuilt by a reputable company. test your engine with known accurate test equpiment. then you will know if your gauges are accurate

The gauges in my 66 charger are still very accurate.
You can substitute the oil pressure gauge with a mechanical gauge ( the kind with a tube connection) and compare it to the factory gauge. You might be able to run both as the big block has a plug on both sides on the rear of the block. They could both be connected with a tee fitting as well.
Similarly and infrared temperature gun can help verify your temperature gauge without doing anything to your existing cluster.

My '72 Satellite began to show some pretty low oil pressure. I replaced the sensor on the engine and the gauge read higher afterward (which made me feel better). I had my gauges professionally rebuilt, and now my coolant temperature reads a little too low (which really bugs me).

Factory gauges are good for "in the vicinity" readings, but there's a reason we installed aftermarket gauges back in the day. I'd just get the cluster rebuilt as mentioned. Tach ? Easy, hook up a Sun Super Tach, either on the dash or strapped to the steering column, and in front of the useless clock is a great location. And, absolutely, as mentioned, the sending units must also be checked, there's a probability their accuracy is questionable.

My '72 Satellite began to show some pretty low oil pressure. I replaced the sensor on the engine and the gauge read higher afterward (which made me feel better). I had my gauges professionally rebuilt, and now my coolant temperature reads a little too low (which really bugs me).
Where did you have your gauges rebuilt?

Very accurate if calibrated correctly and your systems are in good shape.

CA766B9D-A7FB-4399-8951-8CAEFCE5036F.jpeg 2F6D2679-4DDB-4C01-8A23-40E768567624_1_201_a.jpeg

Very accurate if calibrated correctly and your systems are in good shape.

View attachment 1277039 View attachment 1277040
Very pretty restoration. :thumbsup:

In regards to the OP's question, the answer is - it depends.
There's not going to be a pat answer to such a generalized question, of course.
That said...
One thing to make sure of is whether or not the voltage limiter for the cluster is functioning properly.
If that thing is out of whack, several (but not all!) gauges won't read right - if at all.
They make a digital one and I recommend using it.

My stock gauges mirror the 3 aftermarket ones pretty close. I used a new IP circuit board with a solid state regulator built in. Did the amp meter bypass and use a volt meter. All work except the fuel gauge has a mind of its own. Go figure that.

Where do you get the gauges refurbished? If like to just send in the whole cluster actually.
Steve817 - that looks amazing!! Love it!

My stock gauges mirror the 3 aftermarket ones pretty close. I used a new IP circuit board with a solid state regulator built in. Did the amp meter bypass and use a volt meter. All work except the fuel gauge has a mind of its own. Go figure that.
Odds are it's the sending unit in the tank.
Nobody to date has ever made a decent reproduction sending unit for our cars.

Odds are it's the sending unit in the tank.
Nobody to date has ever made a decent reproduction sending unit for our cars.
I think I am on my second one from Right Stuff. Reads empty when I have about a half tank remaining. Guess I could pull the sender and tweak the float arm but then I would not have a 9 gallon reserve.

Verifying the temp is easy, as posted, using an infrared thermo and found that the dash gauge was pretty close. I went with an electric oil pressure gauge with a dual sending unit that keeps the idiot light functional. There’s preferences for pin-point accuracy btw mechanical and electric gauges and if my pressure reads 3-5 PSI off this is arguably close enough IMO. I’m not racing the car. Ok, got spooked by a failed oil line that blew on a bud’s Chev making a hell of a mess and 2nd degree burns on his leg. I know, a very rare event; but with all the work I did on my ride new carpet, panels, console, bezels, etc, etc. I can live with a slightly off gauge. Lol

I like to run mechanical oil pressure gauges outside on the cowl. The Barracuda gauge still needs to be mounted. If you look closely, you can see the gauge on the cowl of the '65 Valiant four-door bracket racer I built.

Barracuda front in driveway.png 65 Valiant1 copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back