• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How and why did you get into Mopars?

1- "Adam" 12 and "Emergency".

2- My mom had a 1967 Chrysler Newport 383 in pale yellow with black int circa 1975. LOVED that car.

3- Neighbor bought 2 Dusters new, a 1970 or 71, then a 1975.

4- Family across the street bought a 1973 Satellite Sebring new. Tan with tan bucket and slapstick interior. Loved that shifter.

5- Girl down the street dated a guy with a Bahama Yellow 1969 Road Runner built for street/strip.

6- Stumbled on 1966 Coronet for sale while looking for car to replace mom's 1971 lesabre circa 1983.

Talked mom into loaning me money to buy that car and it changed my life!

Motown native and 3 generations of Chrysler employees. What put food in your belly and a roof over your head, is what you drove.

When I was 12 my neighbor had a 68 gts with a big block and a 4spd, took me for a high speed ride and I was hooked.

"There I was....at FL350..." oops!
That's another story...

Stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB, 1982 and a neighbor was selling the "MOST BEAUTIFUL CAR I HAD EVER SEEN!"

It was Dayton Ohio, MOPAR town. T
-The car was a 1970 Dodge Challenger 440 SE/RT AC, slap stick, leather interior, small "opera coupe" back window.
-Go-Mango, Black vinyl top, longitudinal stripe, not a bumble Bee stripe. (Perfect color combo)
Anyway, the car simply was a spectacular example of Mother Mopar's design team and the late 60s/70s in America.

Back in November of 1966, My ship returned from Viet Nam to Long Beach Calif. I had my heart set on a new 67 GTO. I test drove one and planned on buying it but I had an hour to kill waiting for a bus so I was milling around in a Dodge dealership. Decided to try out a new Coronet R/T. It was a B5 blue 4 speed car. The salesman told me it had a 5 year 50K warranty. The first time I let the clutch out on that car, I knew the GTO would not make the cut. They called it Dodge fever back then. I guess I got it and still have it. I don't have the Coronet but I do have 4 Dodge's, One Plymouth and 2 Chryslers.

first field car was a 57 plymouth myself and 3 others paid 12 dollars for. 3 on tree...6 cylinder...lasted all summer...I'm from the WNY area and it's "chevy town" and although I like alot of different GM,and Ford models, back in the 60's there were not alot of mopars around. So...being an underdog type supporter, I went with mopars. I was at a 950+ car show this past weekend and my 67 R/T was the only one there. Was alot of other mopars. Also one of the few mopars that packs a 426 hemi....So I'm still in the minority...and I like it that way.

My dad started dating my mom, dad had a 63' Plymouth. She got knocked up in the back seat, and they got married. Grandpa work for Chrysler for 30+ years. Fast forward 9 months, my dad is taking my mom to the hospital cause it was "time"! He out ran 3 police cars, ran a few red lights, and while hitting 2nd, the shifter banged into my moms knee, and she's already in pain from me wanting to come out. They finally get to the hospital, now with the cops in tow. He pulls into the emergency drive, gets out, cops are yelling as they are trying to get to him, he gets my mom out of the car and the cops just stop, take one look at my mom as my dad scoops her up cause she cant walk thanks to the shifter colliding with her knee, and get back into their cars and leave.

So I guess you could it say I was born with the MOPAR DNA in me and currently own 4 MOPARS!
This is a true story, and there are pics of mom's knee, and both parents swear by this to this day!

I bought my 69, about a year old, in San Diego when I was in the Navy. Not long after I bought my V code 70RR from a good friend.

I bought them because I was tired of breaking chivvy parts. When I joined the Navy in the spring of 68 I had 12 broken first - reverse slider gears out of Chev 3 speeds in the trunk of my parts car. I also had 3 or 4 broke rear gear sets.

Been all downhill from there

My V code as owned when new by the original owner. We had been to Lions, where he trophied in pure stock

attachment.php

I have no good photos of the old girl, due to old film, time, and a fire

attachment.php

"Car project day" at the RADAR site at Miramar. I maintained GCA RADAR. Our shop was way out on the W end of the "high speed taxiway" and we had permission to work on our cars. This would have been sometime around 72. From left, one of our Navy trucks, next a plumb crazy 440 Cuda, shaker. Don't remember his name, he was a "friend of a friend" and not part of our crew. Next was Ponch Ventura (Chevy Nova) belonged to one of my fellow techs, and next my black '64 426 440 Dodge. Guy with back turned is Dave, 68 RR, and finally, my 70RR. 440-6, 4 speed, 3.54 Dana, headers, and various engine setups. Mostly ran an 800 Holley. Had "hang on" knee knocker A/C

Now the Marines own Miramar, and have poured concrete over "where this was"

attachment.php

This is a crop out of a clip I found on YouTube. This is pointing E with an F-4 taking off on 24L. This is our two QUAD FPN-36 RADARs. We also had a third RADAR in a van. These were called QUAD because they had four functions........30 some mile search, short range "taxi", "height finding" and their main job, "precision approach" or GCA

s3f483.jpg

Before I bought the 69, I had driven this 63 SS 327 from home to San Diego. That was May of 70

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty much the only known, doctored up, and poor photo of the 70. This would have been taken about 73--74. By this time..........in the gas crunch........I had swapped a 71 340 into the car

81sruds.jpg

Low miles junkyard 340 right after it went in. I was BROKE!!!! Took all my pennies to get it in. Drove it awhile with 318 B body single exhaust, "thrown in" by the junkyard I bought it from. With headers, that 340 ran every bit as good as a 383 RR, and would get over 17 MPG I can't take credit for the "colored" plug wires, they were on the engine!!

attachment.php

Back in the early 70s a friend took me for a ride in his 67 GTX 4-speed, first time I ever went over 100 mph. I was hooked, had to have one, and found my first 67 in 1971-72. It was my daily driver for 3 years. After that I restored a 70 AAR Cuda, then went back to GM cars for 38 years. I always regretted selling that first 67 and found my yellow 4-speed this year. As soon as I heard that Mopar starter turn over I knew I had to have it.

Attachments

• DSCF2834.jpg
    DSCF2834.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 241
Duke of Hazzard got me into cars in the first place. I was 5 years old when it first came on. it was like a bolt of lightning hit my heart. I was hooked for life.

My Mom and Dad both had cool cars, but they were just 'cars', not something beyond that. Mom had a 67 GTO Convertible and my Dad had a 57 Belair, a 58 Impala Powerpack, a 68 442 W-30 4 speed and a 71 Cutlass Supreme. My Dad knew about cars, worked on them from a maintenance standpoint and liked driving them, but wasn't a gearhead. We always had GM, but never a Mopar. Once I got a little older and started to drive I saw a 70 Roadrunner at a car show and just loved it. Even back then they were a rare site. I NEVER thought I'd be able to afford one the way prices went up back in the 90's and again in the early 2000's.

I had a Pro Street 71 Camaro that I was just done with. The motor blew up on me in front of the house and I was fed up. I worked my *** off on that car and it just never hit the mark. It had bad mojo. On the way home from work a few days later someone drove past me in a Yellow 70 Roadrunner. That night I put everything up for sale and searched for 2 years until I found my car. I'm full-on Mopar. I MIGHT own another brand of car, but only because someone gave it to me for free.

The Dukes of Hazzard.

I test drove all the muscle cars back in the day as a teenager. GTO, Chevelle SS, Mustangs etc, etc. but always had my eyes open for GTX which was was my dream car for reasons I don't really recall. I think it was the bold stance and presence of the car. Never thought I could afford one. Then saw one in the news paper and was chicken to drive it all out so I went with a friend. He stomped on it and we both looked at each other with eyes open - went back and I bought the car that night. That was a 68 back in 1972. Still have the car today - do the math - I'm just finishing up with a full ground up restoration. In fact I'm going to pick up the car next week. I'll be posting pics. The old girl is still pretty hot....

When I was a kid in the 60's, when watching any sort of car racing on tv including "The Wide World Of Sports", 426 Hemi was always the buzzword. Fast forward to the mid-70's when I got my license & was looking for a car, I didn't know what to get, but I eventually narrowed it down to a Road Runner & a Charger. A classmate of mine bought a 68 383 4 speed Charger & that settled it for me & I've been hooked ever since.

Forgot one-

1.5- Richard Petty.

Was a chevy guy until 1963 watching the Ramchargers beating all the GM and Ford entries at Detroit dragway.

My uncle had a Dodge Desoto dealership. My older cousin took me for a drive in Desoto Adventurer that I never forgot.

$300 1968 Dodge Dart GT 2-door hardtop with a 225 slant six back in high school. It got me out in the world and been a Mopar fan since.

I've only had my Mopar for maybe 5 years now, and was never a Mopar fan. Started going to car shows and cruise nights and when I heard that distinctive Mopar starter and then the idle I knew that was for me. Way too many Chevelles around, nothing unique about them. That Mopar sound is what got me so late in life now.

Auto Transport Service
Back