• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you do burnouts?

My car is uncontrollable after I lay into the 750 double pump Holley. The rear of the car will eventually start coming around no matter what I do. I have had Hoosier, Micky Thompson, and currently Nitto drag radials. The Nitto’s work best for me but they eventually give way to the 440’s torque.

Preload on the torsion bars/springs can effect traction, causing one side to pull more.

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/adjust-torsion-bars-to-launch-straight.48145/

Getting it to going straight:

They say if you are going left the right tire is hooking better, if it is going right, the left tire is hooking better. So if you are going right and need to get the right tire to hook better, you are supposed to raise the torsion bar on the left side to put more pressure on the right rear tire. They say to raise 1/2" at a time, test, repeat until it goes straight.

Letting off the gas to fast and having the steering wheel turned will get you in trouble! Tires grab you better be ready to wrestle the steering wheel.

Last edited:
Burnout residue or just leftovers from many hot summer nights of street racing.
The funny part of one night in the late '70s was...I was maybe 10 cars back from the intersection, after doing a burnout (some called it Power Braking back then and yes I do have a Winters built Automatic tranny) at W.Market st. two lanes one way traffic east bound and Sherman st., after I was done spinning the wheels and just looking at all the smoke floating around all the cars in both east bound lanes, here comes a cop walking back through the smoke on the center lines. He says to me "boy if I see this car in town again tonight you will get a ticket and the car impounded, now go home". Well, we went home and got a different car.
DSC04923.JPG

Last edited:
Practice, Practice, Practice. Also, Location, Location, Location. Up here in Ontario, the cops call it "stunt driving". If caught, your car is impounded, and you have to call for a ride home. Then a big fine, and your insurance cost goes sideways.

It happens down here too. It's hard to find a "safe" place to do it. Also so much traffic on the roads these days, even the back roads.

If it’s coming around that side tire is bitting more, rear not square to car, weights on tire not equal. If you start in first after you do the burnout put it back in first and roll slowly forward a little to reset the sprag. That’s how you save your leg, it will feel funny if the sprag rolled over.

My true burnouts are confined to the drag strip which I developed over 25 years. But my Satellite will lite the tires for over 60' with 325 drag radial tires on the street, which requires steering.

After I added Cal tracks it helped a lot took a little bit of adjusting but now it go straight for a while

AE7901B1-5234-4DE9-A1B9-41D632F61235.jpeg

never start a burnout in first gear! that is the fastest way to blow up a torqeflite.
Yes, that's hard on the over-run sprag clutch. BUT if you select '1' on your shifter it applies the rear band which takes the strain off the clutch. The rear band isn't used when in 'D'.

Rev it up and DUMP the clutch!! Disclaimer: Be careful.

what r u truning to do burn out with? how do u do ythem . what gear is it in?

Power brakes in front of your house? My neighbors would have me arrested! A burnout is much sexier. You don’t touch the brakes, but leave a strip while being sideways. I’ll try to post a clip of how I feel it’s done. Back in the day (70s) we’d used to twirl our fingers at the driver, and he’d light ‘em right up, usually somewhat sideways. if a kid or animal popped up you’re screwed.

Auto Transport Service
Back