• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does a 68 charger trunk lid prop open?

To make it easier to see, I put masking tape on the torsion bar that puts upward pressure on the drivers side trunk hinge.
The first picture shows the end of the torsion bar going onto the slider, then passing through the hinge support bracket.
The second shows the route it takes to the other side of the trunk.
The third shows how the two torsion bars criss-cross at the middle of the trunk.
The fourth shows the torsion bar partially going behind the passenger side hinge support bracket, coming back out, and going into the first adjustment slot.
The fifth shows a close up of that. The tape has been taken off of the rod, which is at the top of the photo.
The other torsion bar is opposite symmetrical in shape and installation.View attachment 1141735 View attachment 1141738 View attachment 1141739 View attachment 1141740 View attachment 1141744
Thank you for that useful info and pics! Such simple design but so well thought of.

Well, since we're on this subject, anybody have any advice on installing these? We're getting ready to install ours. Also, one of the bars has a rubber cover on it. Looks like fuel hose. Any idea's on a replacement? Thanks.

Well, since we're on this subject, anybody have any advice on installing these? We're getting ready to install ours. Also, one of the bars has a rubber cover on it. Looks like fuel hose. Any idea's on a replacement? Thanks.
Do it with the Deck Lid off for sure.

That rubber cover should be in the middle to prevent rattles if the two bars rub together. Anything will do the job.

The pictures I posted are from a 68 Coronet. The factory service manual doesn’t show any difference between a coronet and a charger

The pictures I posted are from a 68 Coronet. The factory service manual doesn’t show any difference between a coronet and a charger
Could you please post pics of the other side too, I wanna see how the tension is hooked over.

Are both bars the exact same shapes?

I mentioned earlier that the torsion bars are opposite symmetrical (mirror image). If this isn't what you are looking for, let me know.

7291.jpg

I have never put trunk springs in, but some things are readily apparent. The first is that the end of the spring that goes into the slider must be installed first. In the pictures (of the driver's side) you can see how the spring goes through the bracket. In the first picture the trunk is up, and you can see the hinge is blocking part of the slot. With the hinge down the slot is unobstructed. So it looks to me the first step is to get that end of the spring through that slot, with the hinge down. Put on the slider, put the other end partially behind the opposite bracket, then using a small crowbar, or something similar to get the end into the slot. This is also how the FSM instructions for installation read. I had a wing put on a car once, and I used a small crowbar to move the spring into the next adjustment slot. Sort of akin to the way you use a brake tool to reinstall springs.
7294.jpg
7295.jpg

Last edited:
I have never put trunk springs in, but some things are readily apparent. The first is that the end of the spring that goes into the slider must be installed first. In the pictures (of the driver's side) you can see how the spring goes through the bracket. In the first picture the trunk is up, and you can see the hinge is blocking part of the slot. With the hinge down the slot is unobstructed. So it looks to me the first step is to get that end of the spring through that slot, with the hinge down. Put on the slider, put the other end partially behind the opposite bracket, then using a small crowbar, or something similar to get the end into the slot. This is also how the FSM instructions for installation read. I had a wing put on a car once, and I used a small crowbar to move the spring into the next adjustment slot. Sort of akin to the way you use a brake tool to reinstall springs. View attachment 1145572 View attachment 1145573
Thank you for that, I’m gonna fashion a tool to bend the bars

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think the rod used must be hardened steel. In the same way you cannot take ordinary steel rod and make it into a coil spring. I would think that the rod is bent and then after being shaped it gets hardened.

I am in Lake Wales Fl. Those are not fun to hook in. I did figure a way with a wrench to help put them in but at my age can't remember now. LOL. Good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back