• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does linkage connect to transmission?

DC67

Local time
6:17 AM
Reaction score
I’m working on my 67 Charger (383 originally) that has a 69 440 in it. The car has no history or originalily so hard to tell what’s setup correctly.

The kick down linkage is what I need help with.

There are basically 3 connected rods that link up using two swivel brackets creating an a “Z” shape that translates full rearward throttle motion into to down-shift motion on the transmission lever.

The lower rod that connects with the 727 kick down lever is confusing me: There’s a hole in the lever that the rod-end fits in but no threads on the rod for a bolt, groove for a circlip or small hole for a cotter pin. What holds this rod-into to keep it in place in the down-shift lever?

See photo where rod-end is pointing to and close-up photo of the rod-end.

What part am I missing? Anyone know where to get one?

E69417FE-11CE-44F8-804C-3353BB3B7C62.jpeg

7D9DDE6F-E4AB-40C1-A740-9348F7C51677.jpeg

The only one I know that uses the ball and socket connection is the one pictured in yellow here. The ball and socket are at the top of the rod.

727_Linkage.jpg

Last edited:
There is a special clip that snaps into the shaft of the rod. The other end of the clip straddles the kick down lever and has holes in it for the turned down end to fit through. This piece assembles first by placing the clip over the kickdown lever, inserting the turndown end of the rod through the holes, and then swinging the clip over to snap over the rod itself. Kind of hard to explain. The other option is to drill the end for a cotter pin.

Thank you both - I think i’m headed in the right direction now. I see an assortment of ‘linkage clips’ sold by dorman that looks similar to what you described (Dave6T4) here

I may try that assortment before drilling the end or hunting online for the correct part. Always learning something new much appreciated.

If you can’t find the clip you need, I’m sure I have an original used clip in my stash. But you’ll be better off finding it locally as I won’t be able to ship for a couple of weeks, and with shipping I’d be more than the Dorman part

3C2F44C2-8D02-4A71-94BD-4AE0B7D25715.jpeg

If you can’t find the clip you need, I’m sure I have an original used clip in my stash. But you’ll be better off finding it locally as I won’t be able to ship for a couple of weeks, and with shipping I’d be more than the Dorman part

View attachment 1391116

Thank you I very much appreciate the offer - If the trail goes cold finding one I might take you up on the offer

Thats a great link - thanks for sending it, I only recently discovered mega parts and they have been a great resource. Didn't know they had LH and RH versions too so that's good info to keep on hand.

Did you ever find a clip? I was looking for something else in my shop and found a couple of them. I can send you one of you still need it, for cost of postage from N5P 2R2 in Ontario. Likely around $20.00.

While you are at it, in case there is a lot of play on those linkage parts you can press/weld/drill some bushings in there to reduce the clearance.
On mine there was so much play that the linkage made a fair bit of stroke before it actually starts moving the lever on the trans.

Did you ever find a clip? I was looking for something else in my shop and found a couple of them. I can send you one of you still need it, for cost of postage from N5P 2R2 in Ontario. Likely around $20.00.
Thank you I really appreciate the offer. I just received the dorman kit #41017 but I don't think it will work because the largest diameter is 1/4" and I think the rods are larger than that. I'm actually heading down to work on the car tomorrow and will measure and confirm. I may take you up on it if I can't find something sooner. Very much appreciated.

While you are at it, in case there is a lot of play on those linkage parts you can press/weld/drill some bushings in there to reduce the clearance.
On mine there was so much play that the linkage made a fair bit of stroke before it actually starts moving the lever on the trans.
That's good to know thanks for the tip - I've had to use bronze bushings and spacers before on my Holly setup so I'll keep that in mind. There is a great video from '71 on adjusting the linkage I just found today:

Chrysler Master Tech - 1971, Volume 71-2 Shift Quality and Linkage Adjustment​

Screenshot 2022-12-31 133743.png

Auto Transport Service
Back