• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How I fixed my overcharging issues

HT413

Semi Pro Bowler
Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
I recently posted regarding overcharging, voltage regulator and ignition wiring.

My problem - an overcharging issue where it would charge at 12.5V at idle (roughly 800rpm) and gradually increase to 17V at around 2000 rpm. Not sure if it would go higher, as that was quite enough to make me shut 'er down.

I read this link - http://moparforums.com/forums/f84/voltage-regulator-11861/ that said with the car in RUN position, but not started, if you probe from the + Battery terminal and the blue field connection on the VR with a voltmeter, there should be no more than 0.2V voltage drop between the two. Really can't say if the guy was correct, but since I was reading 0.9V :sad5: I figured this might be my problem. OUCH.

My car - 69 Belvedere with a 413, MSD 6AL ignition and MSD blaster SS coil, newer 70 and later transistorized voltage regulator, denso alternator with 2 field terminals and (obviously) the battery terminal, ballast resistor has been eliminated and the ammeter bypassed (all this was done by previous owner). As part of the ammeter bypass, a wire was run directly from the alternator batt terminal to the + terminal on the battery (with a fusible link inline) another wire from + battery terminal to the starter solenoid and a fusible link from starter solenoid to the J terminal on the bulkhead.

STEP 1 - went through the ignition wiring
Replace all the crimp splices connecting the 6AL system to the wiring harness with soldered connections, greased them with Permatex dialectric grease and shrink wrapped them all. Reprobed - 0.7V IMPROVEMENT!

STEP 2 - inspected all bulkhead connections and ignition plug connections and cleaned all the MALE connections with dremel wire wheel. Also noticed a loose prong on the accessory prong of the ignition. Took a moment to tighten it up with just a small bead of solder between the prong and its mounting post. Reprobed - 0.4V to 0.5V. Started it up, 'only' overcharging to 15 to 15.5V. Keep going!

STEP 3 - with the ignition switch out, I jumped from batt terminal to ign1 (run terminal) on the ignition plug on the harness. I then reprobed and still had the 0.4 to 0.5V, which told me there was no excessive voltage drop in the ignition switch itself. A good thing.

STEP 4 - found a cool (and free!) way to clean the female connections in the bulkhead as well as the ignition plug. Mix 1 cup vinegar and 1 tablespoon of salt. THAT'S IT. Ok, they also suggest adding flour to it to form a paste so the mix will stay put in the bulkhead, which I did. I put several tablespoons of flour, adding and mixing one at a time.

OK, so before actually testing on my cherished wire harness, I did a quick experiment using pennies. Here it goes...

The left penny was untreated, the others pennies were (from left to right) exposed to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes and finally 2.5 hours (the time it took me to run a few errands). Picture is abysmal, but the unoxidized patch in the middle of each treated penny is almost as shiney as a new penny.
image.jpg

As you can see, almost all improvement came within the first 30 seconds with no observable improvement until we reached 2.5 hours, but even then it was almost too little to really see. Great news! :hello2:

So I applied the mix to bulkhead female terminals and as well as the female terminals in the ignition switch plug. WARNING- flour mix dries up after a while and you end up with basically pancake batter in your terminals. B**CH to remove. Ask me how I know. :icon_rolleyes:

Reprobed - still 0.4V drop drop from + battery terminal to the blue field connection on the transistorized VR, but when I fired it up, she idled at 12.5V and maintained just a hair over 14V throughout the rpm range (from 1500 to about 3000, which was as high as I went since I didn't feel like warming the car up too thoroughly). My multimeter is a cheapo unit, which I'm guessing is the reason it didn't measure much difference between STEP 3 and STEP 4, because there certainly was a noticeable difference in charging volts.

I'm sure I can find more resistance, but I call this SUCCESS!!!! Of course, tonight I leave for vacation so I can't even drive the dang thing. :eusa_doh:

So there ya go! Hope someone can use this in the future. :VB toast:

Edit: I forgot a couple of things: i cleaned out all the copper cleaner mix with a nice strong shot of WD40. Some of the areas that dried up needed a quick shot of compressed air. I then packed all connections nice and full with Permatex Dialectric Grease and called it done. I plan on following this same process for all high current circuits, such as headlights, hi beams, tail lights and certainly the heater / blower motor. Little at a time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 707
Last edited by a moderator:
wow!just shows a bunch of little crap can pile up to be a real load.:yes:

wow!just shows a bunch of little crap can pile up to be a real load.:yes:

No kiddin. I was shocked that I didn't have to replace anything to get her going. Next I'm going to put the old VR (a made in USA part) back in and hopefully I can return the Napa Chinesium piece to pay for some fancy LED bulbs for the cluster.

Great article to help my issues after I replaced my alternator due to a low charging problem, I couldn't get the alternator belt tight as PO (owners) had stripped out the bolt hole for adjusting tension and inserted another larger bolt to try to compensate. Alas it was too far stripped to do anything but make the belt squeal and a low charging state. I also swapped out the VR at the same time from a solid state to the original resistor type.

After the swap out I am having overcharging issues and when I removed my bulkhead connectors I found a lot of corrosion. I also found that the fuseable link for power into the bottom connector had melted and someone rigged a connection to plug into the bulkhead. I've done a search and can get the all of the components to replace, not sure how hard the female connecting block is going to be to replace but I will tackle that in the next few months. I was able to clean a lot of the corrosion out of the connectors and all though the over charging issue has started to come down, I am looking at the grounds now and also the battery as it may have problems causing the voltages to hang around 15 vdc when raising the idle to around 2000rpm, at idle I'm around 13 vdc. I am going to put the battery charger on the battery and see if that will improve the over-charge.

Also the ammeter bounces pretty good when I fast idle it and have read threads that the older resistor VR could cause this and the solid-state VR smooths it out. I didn't trash the old VR and might try swapping it back in later today when I resume checking the grounds.

Even though your article is for a later car, it pointed me in a good direction that will hopefully get me back to where it belongs.:hello2:

Bill

Just went through the same set of problems. Never heard of the saltwater & flour trick but i will give that a try too! Thanks for this post.

Louis

Just went through the same set of problems. Never heard of the saltwater & flour trick but i will give that a try too! Thanks for this post.

Louis

No problem. But it isnt saltwater and flour - it's salt, VINEGAR and flour (flour is optional just to thicken it.

can you tell me how much vinegar and if matters if it is apple cider or white vinegar. I don't see vinegar mentioned in original post but maybe I'm over looking it.

thanks in advance!
No problem. But it isnt saltwater and flour - it's salt, VINEGAR and flour (flour is optional just to thicken it.

Yeah, I read water in the first post too.....and got to thinking that you don't want to use salted water on electrical parts lol. I live on the Gulf Coast and know about damp salty air lol. Heck, we get a heavy dew almost every night!

Yeah, I read water in the first post too.....and got to thinking that you don't want to use salted water on electrical parts lol. I live on the Gulf Coast and know about damp salty air lol. Heck, we get a heavy dew almost every night!

Lol, oh crap, it does say water. Oops, it's actually 1 cup vinegar to a tablespoon of salt. I gotta talk to Joey to see if I can edit that. Must have written it with a glass of scotch lol. Doesn't matter what vinegar, but I use white vinegar. Just needs to a mild acid.

Joey just fixed it. Thanks for pointing that out. You da man, Joey!!

Auto Transport Service
Back