• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is numbers matching to you?

Something else to consider. Suppose you find a survivor car, be it a 383 Road Runner or a Hemi Belvedere like RC has. Do you see what can be done to modify one of those in your garage, or keep it like it is, the way previous owners preserved it?
In that case, especially the hemi, you may not have any intelligent option but original build. Survivor finds of decent shape is getting very rare.

Im not a big gear vendors fan but Ive installed several for people and its an option that IS reversable for that push button tranny--AND I have 5 push button trannys for sale if anyone is looking--Took everything out of a 63 Fury and installed a TKO-600 5-speed OD tranny for a buddy--his tranny has LESS than a 1000 miles since a total rebuild and every thing for sale .After a ride in my 63 with the OD tranny he had to have one--I made it so--his stuff up for sale-$1000.00takes EVERYTHING

I only target non number's matching cars. Not that I'm anti anything. But the Minnesota cheap comes out in me. And not interested in paying number's matching premiums.

Besides, you have money left over to make the car your own. Back in the day. Nobody gave two cents about all original. It was about what can one do with from their garage.

I believe the "Collectors" that have targeted Muscle era cars are really missing the point of muscle car ownership.

I still appreciate the talents of all number's matching restorations. But just not for me in my opinion.
One more FT.
I was just thinking about this from the above Quote ''Back in the day'' part.
During the '70s and '80s, I can't even think of to many ''stock/assembly line built'' vehicles running around town ''causing trouble''. We needed to be quicker off the line and needed to be faster then the guy or girl in the next lane, especially faster then those in the non-mopar camps. Now 52 years later, more or less, the ''want'' is different. If I'd kept her numbers matching, she would not have my blood on her body nor her grease in my veins. So, for the gotta have a numbers matching gang, MOPAR TO YOU.

Last edited:
Will it make it break whether you buy a project or completed car? I personally don’t care a whole lot but some do. For instance one of my cars does have the numbers matching engine but the transmission isn’t. The story I got was that when the car was four years old that the transmission was grenaded at the track and they put another in it out of a junkyard. Does that make that car less desirable? How much less is that car worth because if that?
It’s solely depends on what the car is that I’m buying and what I’m buying the car for. Mostly, I do not care.

If I am buying a “Restoration” it should be numbers correct or at least noted if it is not with a proper reflection in price. Because it is not properly restored.
documentation required for dealer replacement engines and such.

Other wise, if your selling a /6 or 318 car upgraded to another engine, that’s fine as well and more of my cup of tea. My car my way.

Im not a big gear vendors fan but Ive installed several for people and its an option that IS reversable for that push button tranny--AND I have 5 push button trannys for sale if anyone is looking--Took everything out of a 63 Fury and installed a TKO-600 5-speed OD tranny for a buddy--his tranny has LESS than a 1000 miles since a total rebuild and every thing for sale .After a ride in my 63 with the OD tranny he had to have one--I made it so--his stuff up for sale-$1000.00takes EVERYTHING
Wish I was closer to FL, dang I moved my daughter back up here from Miami Beach last year and I had a truck to move all her stuff with room for a…tranny. Anyway, are you describing a PB setup w/ OD or the swap you did?

For me it all depends on the car and the price. When I bought my 69 gtx last year from an estate, I knew it had a rotisserie done in 1988. The late owner had told me it was matching numbers 440 4 speed and he had always wanted it to stay as original as possible. Do to his heath issues it had not moved in over 15 years. When the family got it appraised,the guy could not verify the matching numbers or if it ran because it was mostly barrier under trash. No one in the family was a car person, so they offered it to me. I have wanted that car since the first time I saw it well I was in high school in 1992. Yes I got it for a good price, but being able to own a dream means a lot more to me than what I payed for it. There was only 4200 miles on the odometer since it was restored.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back