• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How important is numbers matching to you?

My car still has its original steering wheel and a couple of the windows.

I'll let you know if I can think of anything else...

Here’s my answer.

A11404D7-0889-4B2A-A639-96C806B07CA3.jpeg

in my opinion, a period correctly built car is way over "matching numbers"

My matching numbers motor went all over the interstate one night back in '79 heading east out of Columbia, Pa., boy was it exciting up to that point.
In today's world, I'm not sure that owning a numbers matching Mopar would mean anymore to me then a non-matching numbers Mopar with a ''great story'' to go along with it.

Last edited:
As a guy who is planning to make a purchase soon this topic is relevant to me for my own reasons.

At the risk of ruffling a few feathers among the purists, I'm perfectly willing to "butcher" a numbers matching car in order to build what I want.

Having said that, I do care, sort of. If a not matching numbers car that is in A+ condition can be found that is what I'm looking for is priced lower I'll start with that. But if the only thing I can find that is what I'm searching for happens to be numbers matching and is not priced too obscenely high then that's what I'll use.

Sure I enjoy looking at a nice original at a show, but I have no interest in owning a "Collectors car". So to sum up, my answer to the OP is that it is only important to me in how it affects what I have to pay for the car that I intend to modify my way for my own enjoyment. The less I put into the purchase, the more I can spend on the mods.

If you were not of age or not of enough money to buy one of these cars new, then building one back to new is the next best option to get that "feeling".

I'm perfectly willing to "butcher" a numbers matching car in order to build what I want
Yep, buy what you can find regardless if its matching or not and do with it what makes you happy. Life is way too short, enjoy the car with the motor you choose or color change whatever it is just do it. I painted my 68 GTX go-man-go orange, a color not available in 68 but she's just the way I like her and thats all that really matters.

It would entirely depend on the car in question.
It's cliche to say that it's only original once.
But it's true.
After that, it's all a compromise.
Or an illusion of what once was.

My personal opinion is if its a TRUE survivor its numbers matching. After its taken apart for mods or whatever ICGAF! The car is a shell with a drivetrain. It has no soul. It doesn't know the difference. Long as it has the correct equipment it came with its original to me.

Drivetrain numbers don’t mean anything to me, the VIN tells you what the car is, unlike the Chevy crowd who need the numbers to prove what their car is. If you want a perfect car for shows that can’t be driven, that’s fine, just not for me. If nothing has been changed, it likely means the car wasn’t enjoyed the way they were intended to be.
Travis..

Drivetrain numbers don’t mean anything to me, the VIN tells you what the car is, unlike the Chevy crowd who need the numbers to prove what their car is. If you want a perfect car for shows that can’t be driven, that’s fine, just not for me. If nothing has been changed, it likely means the car wasn’t enjoyed the way they were intended to be.
Travis..
Can't agree with all of your statements. I have owned my Charger for 35 years, put about 40k miles on it going to shows, cruises, street racing, bracket raced it in the 80's and 90's, and last year was fortunate to win a first in class at Carlisle, all with the numbers matching engine and trans, and never modified. If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing.

Two 1968 GTXs in equal condition - the numbers matching car will always be worth more.

I dont think I'd buy a numbers matching anything. I always modify my cars. It's usually cheaper to buy a Non numbers car anyway.

It mattered to me more when I purchased my car in '93. I love Mopars - A,B,C,D,E,F,M Bodies.
I appreciate cars, #s matching or not. I don't want to come across as a douchebag who thinks non #'s cars are crap. I enjoy looking at all of 'em at Carlisle or other shows.

Last edited:
different strokes for different folks--I own a matching #s 63 Sport Fury 426 Max Wedge car and 6 others that are not--I think stock #s cars are nice but my modified Mopars are MUCH faster and QUICKER than anything the factory offered.Money is not my issue but being able to drive my modified cars ALL the time is. I love them all but my personal preference is cars I can drive and enjoy. Just my opinion--I like to win

different strokes for different folks--I own a matching #s 63 Sport Fury 426 Max Wedge car and 6 others that are not--I think stock #s cars are nice but my modified Mopars are MUCH faster and QUICKER than anything the factory offered.Money is not my issue but being able to drive my modified cars ALL the time is. I love them all but my personal preference is cars I can drive and enjoy. Just my opinion--I like to win
I have a ’63 Fury vert (just a poly rebuilt for some added giddy-up). Friend of mine has a ’64 SF vert with original 426. IMO, it is cars like yours with the coveted 426 where #’s matching is a thing to behold and is a rare feature. Some (I’m part of this crowd) do mods to improve drivability, handling, safety and performance. I was surprised how these changes made my ride a dream to drive. Having a few muscle cars as daily transport back in the day and on poly glass tires – well it was what we had. Over the decades driving newer vehicles with handling improvements and such I got spoiled wanting my old ride to handle better if it was possible. All the improvements available now are just awesome making our vintage rides handle better than they ever did from the factory. For the purists, total original is their thing. But, having a #’s match 426, 440/6, or similar would impress me.

I like the idea of matching numbers, but I still like to do some modifications. Our '68 Charger R/T is numbers matching block but not the trans. We're having the engine built right now and it's getting stealth heads, larger cam, Edelbrock intake, headers etc. We're going more for a day two feel with the car

two of my modified cars are a 1963 Sport Fury convertible 426 wedge with Aluminum heads-a 292 duration 535 lift cam--gapless rings--variable duration lifters--a TKO-600 5 speed with 36% overdrive--getting mid to high 22 to 27 miles per gallon @ 80 plus mph---80 mph is only 2000 rpm--100 mph is only 2400 rpm--All the suspension is Polyeurathane frt & rear--7 leafs on both rear spring--how about 135 in 3rd gear at 6000 rpm with 4th and 5th still to go

DSC00386.JPG old pictures 2035.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back