• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how lean am i?

What you see on those plugs means next to nothing.You need to do a proper plug reading and post those up.
will do tomorrow..as someone has said though already,,,California unleaded pump gas is hard to read...what started all this was the shroud that I put on the rad with electric fans that made it run hot..driving down the road at 50,barely pushing the gas peddle,,the temp gauge would start moving up and it would start pinging.did not ping before.....then,realized with more reading that I was severly under jetted and the metering rods / springs need attention...anyway...to be continued tomorrow.will get after it in the a.m...thanks..

Depending how much road you have to test even the top of second can give a good reading! Pimp junk in this area is 93,nut has 10% ETHANOL:mad:

Last edited:
put 60+ miles on it today...fixed!no more heating problem!never went over 180,,including stop and go rush hour traffic..new fans r great...1500 cfm each spal's..no shroud.they will suck your hand against the radiator!averaged 170 with a 160 thermostat..

and...no more ping!after driving it..pulled the #1 plug again..its now mostly black..unlike the white color in the 1st post..used orange springs on the metering rods..down at idle.pops up when throttle is whacked..car was lean and running hot.lead to pinging issue.no race gas..all on calif 91 octane pump..is the spring supposed to stay up upon throttle opening or just pop up and go back down like its doing now?does not dance around,,down and up and back down..no in between..cant see it while driving obiously..

dynamic compression was low enough after all..just needed more juice and to be cool....

002.JPG

Last edited:
Back