• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How long is too long?

PeteyDaMan

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi All,
Wondering if I'm being too nice and I'm going to get screwed. Back in November of last year I ordered, and paid for, a custom hydroboost setup for my 71 Charger. The vendor came highly recommended from several members here. The vendor said that there was a lead time of 90 days. No problem I thought, I wouldn't need it until the weather got nice again. I called in January, just to make sure things were on track and I was assured everything was looking good. In February I called again and was told they were running behind and that it would be another 30 days. Again, no problem, no rush. So here we are over 6 months later and still no parts. Every time I call it's in production and should be another couple weeks.
I'm being patient and polite but keep wondering if I'm being a sucker and will never see the parts nor my money (over $700).
I know there's "supply chain" issues, but if that's the case then please tell me the REAL date to expect delivery instead of pushing it out a week at a time.

ok, rant over

My buddy ordered a set of HP manifolds with TTI collectors from Mancini. Got the HP manifolds pretty quick. The TTI collectors took 8 weeks. Wow.... Mancini apparently drop ships for TTI but 8 weeks was a long wait. I feel for you but times are crazy now.

Sounds familiar, I ordered a complete pistol grip shifter package for a console car last spring of 2021 and call once per month on it and always told maybe next month.....Its from a good dealer so I'm sure the problem is not in his control but still frustrating its been over a year now. I'm patient because I can still drive the car with the old setup.

Hi All,
Wondering if I'm being too nice and I'm going to get screwed. Back in November of last year I ordered, and paid for, a custom hydroboost setup for my 71 Charger. The vendor came highly recommended from several members here. The vendor said that there was a lead time of 90 days. No problem I thought, I wouldn't need it until the weather got nice again. I called in January, just to make sure things were on track and I was assured everything was looking good. In February I called again and was told they were running behind and that it would be another 30 days. Again, no problem, no rush. So here we are over 6 months later and still no parts. Every time I call it's in production and should be another couple weeks.
I'm being patient and polite but keep wondering if I'm being a sucker and will never see the parts nor my money (over $700).
I know there's "supply chain" issues, but if that's the case then please tell me the REAL date to expect delivery instead of pushing it out a week at a time.

ok, rant over

The issue here is materials. Holding your payment for units that they don't have is not a good idea. Poor communication not good either. You may need to request a refund or partial refund. Just to mitigate your risk.

ok, rant over

It's not a supply issue, it a lazy *** worker problem! And until people get off their *** and show some sense of urgency, things will only get worse!
How much of enough is enough? I'd start being a bitch and demand when you'll get your part{s}, or get your money back and tell them to bork off!!

Where are the parts made, or the subcomponents to make the parts from? Things have gotten crazy getting product out of China, the government there shuts down ports when a city gets an outbreak of Covid. Also there have been other logistical challenges with shipping containers and ships getting the product here, and our ports.
I really feel for vendors now, they have little control over the situation, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I am sure more than a few will decide to just hang it up after the problems in recent times, and that will hurt the hobby.
It's a shame we allowed so much manufacturing to be outsourced to China. Though at the same time, it's hard to say just move it back here, as has been said previously, a lot of people just don't want to work, so staffing a manufacturing plant is hard.
And then there is the issue of cost. Consumers in the US just won't pay the price for products manufactured in North America more often than not.
This situation has been going on for a while. I used to be an engineer for a aftermarket brake company and we had our plants in the US and Canada. Chinese stuff started coming in over 20 years ago really undercutting our prices. I remember hearing a executive lamenting that pallets of rotors were coming in ready to sell and they cost less than it cost us for a casting, prior to machining, handling and packaging.
How are you supposed to compete with that? We were advertising that we were made in the US, but the offshore stuff was kicking our butt. By 2005-2006 they started shutting down the plants and moving everything to Asia. I got laid off then, and just as well.
I still occasionally get people I know coming up to me at car shows asking me where to find US made brake parts and complaining all my "best in brakes" former employer parts are China and India. I just say I got fired there 15 years ago, I am out of that industry, go bother someone else!
We didn't, and now we are paying the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ordered seat cover set in January 2021. Still waiting.

Consumers in the US just won't pay the price for products manufactured in North America more often than not.....................
Precisely. WE are our own worst enemy.

Started in the late 70’s…then got worse…then more worse…then (come up with a word worse than worse). Parking lots at Walmart always look full.

Where are the parts made, or the subcomponents to make the parts from? Things have gotten crazy getting product out of China, the government there shuts down ports when a city gets an outbreak of Covid. Also there have been other logistical challenges with shipping containers and ships getting the product here, and our ports.
I really feel for vendors now, they have little control over the situation, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. I am sure more than a few will decide to just hang it up after the problems in recent times, and that will hurt the hobby.
It's a shame we allowed so much manufacturing to be outsourced to China. Though at the same time, it's hard to say just move it back here, as has been said previously, a lot of people just don't want to work, so staffing a manufacturing plant is hard.
And then there is the issue of cost. Consumers in the US just won't pay the price for products manufactured in North America more often than not.
This situation has been going on for a while. I used to be an engineer for a aftermarket brake company and we had our plants in the US and Canada. Chinese stuff started coming in over 20 years ago really undercutting our prices. I remember hearing a executive lamenting that pallets of rotors were coming in ready to sell and they cost less than it cost us for a casting, prior to machining, handling and packaging.
How are you supposed to compete with that? We were advertising that we were made in the US, but the offshore stuff was kicking our butt. By 2005-2006 they started shutting down the plants and moving everything to Asia. I got laid off then, and just as well.
I still occasionally get people I know coming up to me at car shows asking me where to find US made brake parts and complaining all my "best in brakes" former employer parts are China and India. I just say I got fired there 15 years ago, I am out of that industry, go bother someone else!

Very true And let’s not forget the company’s that don’t want to pay Americans a decent wage so they outsource jobs. More jobs gone…

Lots of customers are facing extended (and re-extended) wait times because the supply chain problems are very real, and difficult if not impossible to predict or control.

You don't absolutely NEED this, so if you are uncomfortable risking your cash, get a refund and tell them to call you when they are ready to build it.

Well.... one things for darn sure. These types of threads turn political at roughly the speed of light! :drama:

Return of funds is the answer at this point. They have no right to hold your money this long with no answers of substance. As all of you have said - supply chain issues may be what they are - but for me I also believe pretty much every business of any kind is taking advantage of the circumstances we’re in to raise their prices whether they really need or not. Rather than give you specific examples - I’ll just stand by my words. But I have them.

I have no use for drop-shippers. Never have...
My first question when buying anything, especially in this hobby, to a potential seller is:
"Do you actually have this part physically in-house?"

That comes from old eBay dealin' days. Learned all about drop-shippers there...

OK, this is funny. I just got UPS shipment info on my part 2 days after starting this thread.

Coincidence or does is the vendor a member here?

Auto Transport Service
Back