• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many of these men do you remember..

Another one, and I don't remember his real name, but 'Captain Kangaroo'...
Bob Keeshan was his name..... After an early graduation in 1945 from Forest Hills High School in Queens, New York, during World War II, he enlisted in the United States Marine Corps Reserve, but was still in the United States when Japan surrendered.

Another one is Sinbad the comedian.
Sinbad served in the United States Air Force as a boom operator aboard KC-135 Stratotankers. While assigned to the 384th Air Refueling Wing at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, Kansas, he would often travel downtown to perform stand-up comedy. He competed as a comedian/MC in the Air Force's Talent Contest in 1981. Sinbad was almost dismissed with a dishonorable discharge for various misbehaviors, including going AWOL.[8]

I didn't make the Air Force basketball team and went into denial. So, I kept going AWOL. My mother kept begging me to go back. I told her, "No, I'm not going back. I'll just grow a beard. They won't recognize me. I'll just be another black man with a beard." I was going to Georgia Tech to learn about computers. I'd go AWOL all the time. I'd just leave. I'd come back, hoping they'd throw me out.[8]
After a series of incidents, he was eventually discharged "for parking my car in the wrong position."[9]
I was also a Boom Operator and had heard stories from other Booms about his escapades while in service, what a character!

i had heard about some of those guys but not all, thanks.

there are human beings and then there are men........marcus aurelius.

View attachment 1358037

This talks about his war wounds, but I saw at least 2 TV interviews where he said 'I was shot in the ***,' when speaking of where on his body he was wounded.
'Lee Marvin, of New York City New York, enlisted with the US Marine Corps Reserve on August 12, 1942, at the age of 18 years old. He enlisted with his father, Lamont (age 51) a decorated World War I veteran, in New York City and trained at Parris Island in South Carolina.
After completing Quartermaster School Marvin was promoted to Corporal but subsequently downgraded to Private First Class resulting from disciplinary issues. He
served with I Company, 3rd Battalion, 24th Marines, 4th Marine Division. On June 18, 1944, Marvin was wounded in action during the assault on Mount Tapochau during the Battle of Saipan. Lee was hit by incoming fire that severed his sciatic nerve in addition to severely damaging his foot. Even with these devastating injuries, Marvin was lucky as he was one of only six survivors from his unit of 247 men. (Source: USMC Archive)
After spending over a year in medical treatment at various naval hospitals he was given a full medical discharge. Despite his injury, he tried to reenlist but was turned down. Private First Class Marvin was decorated with the Purple Heart Medal, the Presidential Unit Citation, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon.
After the war Lee returned to upstate New York and worked various odd jobs until he established a successful acting career to include such works as The Big Heat, The Wild One, M Squad and The Dirty Dozen. In 1965 he won the Academy Award for Best actor for his role in Cat Ballou.
Lee Marvin passed away on August 29, 1987 at the age of 63. He was buried at Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors'.

View attachment 1358043
Didn't realize he left so young......

Auto Transport Service
Back