• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many vehicles have you totalled?

We purchased a new 2009 Prius. Our daughter was out in the vehicle (her boyfriend at the time was driving). They were stopped at an intersection when some nut in a pickup ran into the back of them, crushing the rear like an accordion.

They chased him down. Insurance company totaled the vehicle. It was a couple of years old and the only new car I ever purchased. (photo not our car but similar in appearance)

prius.jpeg

My little brother was driving my Dad's new pickup truck on a country road with a lot of weird, sharp 90 degree turns. He hit a power pole head on, but was not injured. Smelled like someone had spilled beer on the carpet. Vehicle was totaled. Don't remember if it was a Ford or Chevy, we had it for so short a period.

My wife was driving Dad in his 1990 Cadillac four-door sedan. They were almost home (driving on the freeway) when the oil light came on. She wanted to stop, put he kept yelling at her to drive all the way home in that condition. Burned the motor up. Dad repaired the motor and sold the vehicle. (photo not ours but similar)

Cad.jpeg

I totaled a brand new 1984 Honda 700s Nighthawk bike
I should say 'the asshole' with no insurance,
some lowlife loser guy
in the POS rusted out ol' Ford 72 Country Squire wagon
who pulled out into my path
& tried to make a left turn, right in-front of me,
then stopped in my lane, when he saw me
totaled it
I was going like 45-50-ish

flew over the car & street

that one really sucked

Circa 2006, I purchased a used Jeep Grand Cherokee which later just quit alongside of the road. Found the inline six motor had a hole in a piston. Replaced the motor with a used one, but I had a question afterward regarding the automatic transmission.

Took it to a local transmission shop to have it checked out. The mechanic took it for a test drive around the block around the industrial area where the repair garage was located. At the end of the street, he turned around and then accelerated fairly quickly to get a feel of how the tranny was shifting.

About the time he got up to speed (25-35 mph) a forklift came out of a driveway to our left and just kept going right out into the middle of the street. The rear of the forklift broadsided the driver's side of the Grand Cherokee. The Mexican mechanic driving our Cherokee did not have a driver's license. The driver in the forklift tried to blame us.

The vehicle was totaled and the business where the forklift ran out into the street had to compensate us.

1972 driving a 1969 Coronet R/T turning left onto my Grandparents raid and a car that was four vehicles behind me decided to pass everyone. Hit me broadside at about 60 mph. The car behind me was a Pa. State trooper.
1976 driving a 1972 Corvette a Tri axel dump trunk ran a stop sign and split my car in half. Everything from the firewall forward went in one direction and the rest stopped at the guardrail. The driver was very drunk

I had a 64 Bel Air station wagon and a guy in a 70's Corvette lost control on a wet snow road and drove right in front of me. Bent the frame on the wagon and tore the rear end out of the Vet. No injuries to me

2nd was my 2001 Ford work van. A young girl lost control of her car on the Garden State Parkway and T-boned me.
Road was damp, my van slid side ways and layed down on the drivers side and rolled over 2 1/2 times. Went on a wild ride for 2 tenths of a mile.
Wound up with 5 herniated discs

had a head on , on a dirt road going to fast ( both of us ). front wheel ended up under my *** ! 1983
Scan0018.jpg

Great topic!

In 1987, I totalled my '73 Camaro twice in one week when 2 separate idiots turned left in front of me and I broadsided them.
I totalled a few junkers for a video movie I made in the late 90s.
My 2006 Ram 1500 was hit at the LF corner by a guy that ran a stop sign...It was a year old with 33,000 miles on it.

I have never been at fault for any accident that resulted in a total loss but I have had a few minor at fault collisions. THis is with over a million miles of driving in my 35-36 years of driving.

just one. Fell asleep on the way home after chasing parts for the road runner I had at the time. I had worked 7 midnights in a row and didn't go to bed after work.
'88 W150 lift, 35s. Great truck.

Big Red.jpg
Big Red ...jpg

my first car, 1970 fury gran coupe. guy blew the light, oncoming. hit the front fender and tore everything up on the drivers side to the back bumper.
my 4th car, 1968 charger. parked on a busy street, legally, under a street light, in front of my dad's house. drunk hit the *** hard and pushed her into the post. shoulda kept her, considering the $ they're now going for.
ford e250. when abs was a new thing. phucker was like trying to stop a 10 speed bicycle on a sheet of ice. misjudged traffic, began to turn left, brakes locked and skidded into oncoming. oncoming work truck hit me broad side.
ford e150. lower wacker drive. it's a 30 mph bypass under ground around traffic downtown shitcago, where everyone speeds. limited access. some a hole ignored multiple signage, pulled out where he shouldnt have, i couldnt maneuver without taking out the truck next to me. kinda like the fury.

I'm thinking he ran off on foot.....!
Actually, she was clipped by the Honda who couldn't stop when traffic backed up suddenly. She was spun into the fast lane, t-boned, and backed into the center divider. The bench seat pushed the passenger side door post out almost a foot. She was lucky, no seat belt or she would have been dead. Airlifted to County-USC medcenter, nothing very serious, she recovered just fine.
The Honda drove away.

Thank God none, and i hope I never get involved in such an accident that assume a total lost, I drive an average of 200 km a day, good tires, good maintenance to my van, never in a hurry, never drive at night , and never ever in heavy rain, for me that's reduce the risk of an accident, I think.

Luckily, none for me. Mind you, I've had some close calls though; some my fault, some others.

To me, the winner so far is @eldubb440 playing chicken!!! :rofl:

lmao, I'm not proud of it, there are other things I'd rather win...... lottery would be nice

but allow me to elaborate, I remember it like it was yesterday........ I recognized a buddies car coming at me on a 2 lane road surrounded by farm fields (same farm fields were we rolled the monte carlo),

anyway, I jumped over into his oncoming lane; I wanted him to do the same, and we would pass on opposite sides. He figured it out (almost) and also switched lanes...... BUT when we got close, I guess he didn't believe I'd follow through, and he panicked and got back in his lane; So I bobbed, and he weaved and we ended up hitting head on probably 35-40 mph and spinning off into the field.......

I am the main reason I don't have kids..... kids are stupid, even the smart ones

yup....the red truck I posted above was replaced by a rust free '89 W150. I let my oldest daughter drive it to her job at the mall one night. Got a panic call from the wife that the daughter had been in a wreck. I was at work close to the hospital, so I headed there and beat the ambulance. The wife showed up soon after. When the ambulance showed up, the daughter was on a stretcher, and she was OK, just had a seatbelt rash on her shoulder. She was telling us she was only doing 35 on the sharp turn she missed, the State Trooper looked at me and shook his head. She had spun around, hit the bank, and the truck came to rest almost upside down against the bank. There wasn't a straight panel left. I've taken that turn at 50 without trouble. Now she wouldn't drive for a week until her Mom made her. Then it was on. I was coming home from work one night when she flew past me on the highway. I chased her for 7 miles and couldn't catch her. She got the riot act when I got home. I told her the difference between her age and mine was when something happened to one of us, we realized we weren't immortal. Kids nowadays, when they get away with something like she did, they KNOW they are immortal. When got her a really nice '06 Stratus in her second year at collage. It lasted 6 months till she totalled it. After that she was called the Terror of Ohio State.

my boy2, crash murdoch II, totaled a 00 4x4 durango. driving down a semi busy side street, some dude blew a stop sign on an intersecting street. boy2 managed to avoid hitting that car, in the process, doing a 540, putting the passenger side into a tree. in the process, hitting a pedestrian, launching that person into another tree. luckily, that person had very minor injury. everyone in the durango was unharmed, except their shorts.
surprisingly, during the investigation, the stop sign guy was somehow identified in the crowd.
due to the safety of the durango, boy2 got rewarded with another 00. this time a 4x2, which he beat the **** out of. surprised a vehicle could last that long with no fluids.

crash murdoch, borrowed my 02 ram sport.
drizzling/misting out. showboating in front of friends, again, lost control. put the side of the ram, into a 2 day old chevy, owned by the sergeant of the p.d. of the next town over

Auto Transport Service
Back