• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much did your restoration cost?

Good job on that, the green and black looks amazing!! Oh and how much did you end up spending on the motor?

I have about $14K in the engine which includes the induction system.

IMG_2232.JPG

Just my view, but for now if you like the body styles.... the 60s up through 67 B bodies are the best value.
Finding a solid car or a older restoration that needs refreshed is money well spent.
Satellite instead of Gtx , 440 coronet instead of 500s and R/Ts.
It's all in what you want or love and how much you wish to spend. How much of the work you can do is a major factor in overall expense.
Just for kicks look at adds for 66/67 small block chargers compared to the 68s and up versions with big block power.
You just have to set your sights on a project you can finish. You can still build a pre 68 B body for under 20k if you can do much of it yourself.

I know a lot of people don't like to keep track of their expenses but I developed a build sheet (actually a series of sheets) that helps me plan the project, do comparison shopping and keep track of all of the expenses. It also allows me to track the parts (where I got them and when I bought them). I have found it to be pretty useful and do one for every car I do.

I have a antifreeze case out on a shelf in the shop where I throw all my receipts. Once the Charger is done I'm going to pull that box out and start doing the math. Everything goes in that box. Tools, materials, parts. Everything. It's not going to be pretty.
I'm right around the 35 grand mark myself, Canadian of course. Plus the price of the car back in 2003.

I've never done a restoration, but I've purchased cars done by others. The first one, a 1960 Chrysler 300F I owned in the late 90s, illustrates the money pit a high end restoration can become. The car was an original, zero rust (with the exception of some pin holes in the trunk lip) desert car, that had been mechanically restored to perfection (previous owner was a mechanical engineer), engine compartment and undercarriage painted, new gorgeous interior, still had decent original paint and chrome. Previous owner had bought the 300F as a running project car in the late 80s for $5000, and over the next decade, generated a file containing $63,000 worth of receipts. Still needed paint and chrome work for show, but I was happy to keep the patina on my driver for special Saturday nights. I bought the car for almost $50,000 less than the previous owner had in it, and owned it for two years without spending a dime on it other than gas and oil changes.

300F.jpg

Restoration means different things to different people. See your a diesel mechanic so the drive train is a parts cost and some machining. If you have a special emotional attachment to the car and want a perfect car pro's will need to do a part of the work. If your car isn't a high end car you won't get your money back, so that's a consideration. I recommend you think before ripping your car apart. When I bought my car I wanted a driver with thoughts of restoration. As time went by the restoration idea was out. Age and physical problems stopped that. Over the years I've accumulated many NOS parts which will be offered to the next buyer. I've only have $15k to 18k into my car and NOS parts.

View attachment 1133930 View attachment 1133931

Fran, when your ready I'll be happy to double that... LOL...

My latest and final build is my 68 Charger. First time I kept track of almost all expenses and things add up way faster than one would think. I knew going in that it would be north of $60k with me doing MOST everything except body and paint work, but I had no idea it would be closer to $90K. Not that it matters much since I didn't build it with any thoughts of ever getting my money back out of it. I wanted a vintage looking car that would be dependable, run on the junk gas that is out there these days and get some decent mileage. That said, I'm happy to say I believe I got what I bargained for. It has a 6.1 Hemi with 5 speed automatic and 3.23 sure grip. Cruises 70 mph at 1700 rpm. delivers 23+ mpg with the A/C on and can still put down a high 12 second quarter mile on street tires. Here are a few pics.

100_8143.JPG 100_8136.JPG 100_8131.JPG 100_8530.JPG 100_8533.JPG 100_8670.JPG

Really nice! A few hundred here a thousand there pretty soon your talking real money! That saying is so true. Senator Everett Dirksen from Illinois .

I've never done a restoration, but I've purchased cars done by others. The first one, a 1960 Chrysler 300F I owned in the late 90s, illustrates the money pit a high end restoration can become. The car was an original, zero rust (with the exception of some pin holes in the trunk lip) desert car, that had been mechanically restored to perfection (previous owner was a mechanical engineer), engine compartment and undercarriage painted, new gorgeous interior, still had decent original paint and chrome. Previous owner had bought the 300F as a running project car in the late 80s for $5000, and over the next decade, generated a file containing $63,000 worth of receipts. Still needed paint and chrome work for show, but I was happy to keep the patina on my driver for special Saturday nights. I bought the car for almost $50,000 less than the previous owner had in it, and owned it for two years without spending a dime on it other than gas and oil changes.

View attachment 1133981
Have posted before about spending money on restoing cars and chatting with others including on the forum – most don’t take the plunge with their cash expecting any profit. They want to build their ride just the way they want them, as I did. I put 10 grand in mine, ahh maybe $15k more than what I could sell it for. As things went along I did more than what I planned initially, adding thousands. I had an offer on mine just yesterday for high-20’s. Well chit, I got over 40k in it. But, that’s around what my car can garner checking prices. Yep, guys that buy a nicely restored car can snag a huge bargain and never get their knuckles shaved off or herniated disks.

Sometimes I ponder on this…as at my age now I’m not going to restore another ride. While I’m lucky enough to still be able to do it, just harder on da body I don't relish anymore. It was interesting to go through, all the B, S, and money doing them – memories only guys that did it have. What a way to get to know your ride intimately…lol. I wouldn’t trade those memories, especially my 1st one with my much wiser and now departed dad. We downed a lot of PBR's doing it...

What a guy!:D That would only give me 2000% profit more than I paid for it and to get it running.:lol:

Ok.
I'll triple your investment.
As i have the perfect garage mate for it.

Let me know where and when.

As for my own car.

I bought it from a very good friend. I actually helped build the thing back in the early 2000s . Told him when he bought it as a project. If/ when he decided to sell.
I wanted 1st crack. It only took me 20 years. But the car is in MY garage. ...... finally.
And is (god willing ) is where it will stay till im breathing dirt. Then my girls say they will fight over it. / share it.

I never did include the price of the car. But I guess that's irrelevant. So I will say the Road Runner was $8000.00 Bought from a long time friend. Then 15k for everything you see done to it.

Ok.
I'll triple your investment.
As i have the perfect garage mate for it.

Let me know where and when.

As for my own car.

I bought it from a very good friend. I actually helped build the thing back in the early 2000s . Told him when he bought it as a project. If/ when he decided to sell.
I wanted 1st crack. It only took me 20 years. But the car is in MY garage. ...... finally.
And is (god willing ) is where it will stay till im breathing dirt. Then my girls say they will fight over it. / share it.
You're some nice steps ahead hey...miles. My girls have ZERO interest in my ride and it'll get sold off if I don't do it first while above ground. The car I've had for 26 years...thousands of hours rebuilding...means jack squat. Well, they don't have the memories of days past that I have. Is what it is...

You're some nice steps ahead hey...miles. My girls have ZERO interest in my ride and it'll get sold off if I don't do it first while above ground. The car I've had for 26 years...thousands of hours rebuilding...means jack squat. Well, they don't have the memories of days past that I have. Is what it is...

I'm confident my car is / will be in good hands and remain in the family for many years to come.

BOTH my girls love old cars . Oldests very ride of her life was in a 69 GTX convertible when she was born
Both actually want / have plans to have one of there own before long. And both have said this car is going nowhere.

I'm confident my car is / will be in good hands and remain in the family for many years to come.

BOTH my girls love old cars . Oldests very ride of her life was in a 69 GTX convertible when she was born
Both actually want / have plans to have one of there own before long. And both have said this car is going nowhere.
A great feeling hey, to know your baby will be in good hands plus stay in the family? Something I don't have as my car will be treated as some other old **** I have to be dumped. Makes me want to sell it if able when that day arrives. BUT, I had sold my cherry car to a dipshit in my town giving me the opp to see it every so often. This was 35+ years ago. WDF, each time I spotted it...it was more trashed! Caved in rear, next pushed in front...dirty as a boneyard car. One time when I saw it parked at a strip mall, couldn't resist....drove up near it and walked over to see the dude's girlfriend setting in it with her feet up on the dash. Inside looked like a garbage pit. The **** wad was walking back to the car and also couldn't resist saying "What in thee **** have you done to my car; you could eat off the gas pedal when I sold it to you". He says "Ain't your car anymore". ******* was I pissed...telling him a few departing words. Next time I saw it, it was in a dealer's junk lot; wrecked POS. Longer story...but swore I'd never sell a cherry car of mine to anyone closer than a 100 miles so I'd never have to see it again.

My latest and final build is my 68 Charger. First time I kept track of almost all expenses and things add up way faster than one would think. I knew going in that it would be north of $60k with me doing MOST everything except body and paint work, but I had no idea it would be closer to $90K. Not that it matters much since I didn't build it with any thoughts of ever getting my money back out of it. I wanted a vintage looking car that would be dependable, run on the junk gas that is out there these days and get some decent mileage. That said, I'm happy to say I believe I got what I bargained for. It has a 6.1 Hemi with 5 speed automatic and 3.23 sure grip. Cruises 70 mph at 1700 rpm. delivers 23+ mpg with the A/C on and can still put down a high 12 second quarter mile on street tires. Here are a few pics.

View attachment 1134069 View attachment 1134070 View attachment 1134071 View attachment 1134072 View attachment 1134073 View attachment 1134075

Now THAT is a dream car. Just awesome.

Restoration means different things to different people. See your a diesel mechanic so the drive train is a parts cost and some machining. If you have a special emotional attachment to the car and want a perfect car pro's will need to do a part of the work. If your car isn't a high end car you won't get your money back, so that's a consideration. I recommend you think before ripping your car apart. When I bought my car I wanted a driver with thoughts of restoration. As time went by the restoration idea was out. Age and physical problems stopped that. Over the years I've accumulated many NOS parts which will be offered to the next buyer. I've only have $15k to 18k into my car and NOS parts.

View attachment 1133930 View attachment 1133931
I do so love your car, sir. You've been an excellent steward of it....what year was it bought?

Have posted before about spending money on restoing cars and chatting with others including on the forum – most don’t take the plunge with their cash expecting any profit. They want to build their ride just the way they want them, as I did. I put 10 grand in mine, ahh maybe $15k more than what I could sell it for. As things went along I did more than what I planned initially, adding thousands. I had an offer on mine just yesterday for high-20’s. Well chit, I got over 40k in it. But, that’s around what my car can garner checking prices. Yep, guys that buy a nicely restored car can snag a huge bargain and never get their knuckles shaved off or herniated disks.

Sometimes I ponder on this…as at my age now I’m not going to restore another ride. While I’m lucky enough to still be able to do it, just harder on da body I don't relish anymore. It was interesting to go through, all the B, S, and money doing them – memories only guys that did it have. What a way to get to know your ride intimately…lol. I wouldn’t trade those memories, especially my 1st one with my much wiser and now departed dad. We downed a lot of PBR's doing it...
I concur. I could not agree more, sir. Cheers to you!
Guilty-as-Charged_Memegenerator.net_crp_mod_feature-864x454.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back