• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much porting for a 337 on a 580"?

Beach Goat

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
I have a 580" wedge motor in my 70 Charger, Indy 572-13s, 10.4:1, 268/[email protected] Comp Cam, AED 1000 4150 Holley.

It's currently making 590rwhp/545rwtq. It's got a Mopar 337 single plane manifold, and I'm wondering if the motor would respond to having it ported. Would I only need the entrance to the runner and plenum area cleaned up with nice radii, or full blown runner porting?

It should be port-matched, at minimum. Different intakes and modifications, will yield different results. That's dyno-time R&D.

I’ve been reading David Vizard’s book on Holley Carburator tuning, and he delves a bit into what he calls stagger jetting. He says cylinder 7 robs cylinder 5 of some of its charge, as it starts its intake event in the middle of 5s intake event, and since the start of the event utilizes exhaust scavenging, this leads 7 to pull harder than 5 which at that point is only using the draw of the piston moving downwards.

He says that you can fight this rich corner by jetting the adjacent barrels 2 jets larger. So front drivers side and rear passenger side barrels are jetted 2 larger.

What I’m having trouble grasping is, how is adding more fuel to the other barrels going to help a rich condition in an adjacent corner?

Has anyone tried his method?

Not knowing much about this intake or how well the intake responds to porting or who has done it, in reverse, I’d start there. Try a call or two to places that port intakes and see if they have laid hands on it may require a danm and if they do it or can do it or needs it. Etc....

IMO more flow the better since intakes are often limiting the heads ability.

Wilson comes to mind. Ask them. And ask about balancing the runner flow. Ask if it

Auto Transport Service
Back