• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often to check cars ?

Purepony

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
How often or when do guys check for and what do you check for when you do ?

Does it matter if it’s a long drive or a short drive ?

Do you look under the cat ? Check fluid ?

Thanks

This time of year I don't drive it everyday or every week for that matter, it's to hot during the day & in the evening I'm often busy with other stuff... So I keep a trickle charger on it.... As long as the hood is up I'll give things a quick look, not to much, I know the car doesn't leak oil or coolant, I know it's pretty reliable.. Fall, winter & spring I'll drive it some practically every day so unless I saw a gauge do something unusual on the last drive I'll probably jump in & go without thinking about checking anything...

Spring & Fall 150-300 mile drives are common & before those I usually check fluids & tires....

Just basic for me. Most of my old cars don't leak fluids but I always look under hood and under car when I first start them If they been setting for weeks or months other than that, I just jump in and go. Like 1 wild R/T says, its been hot here also so I havent been driving them as much lately but the secret is to drive them as often as possible even if you just have time for a couple miles up the road. I've always felt the worst thing you can do with an old classic is let it set.

Once a week, 30 minute or more drive to charge up battery and run it through it's paces to ensure everything is ok.

Just basic for me. Most of my old cars don't leak fluids but I always look under hood and under car when I first start them If they been setting for weeks or months other than that, I just jump in and go. Like 1 wild R/T says, its been hot here also so I havent been driving them as much lately but the secret is to drive them as often as possible even if you just have time for a couple miles up the road. I've always felt the worst thing you can do with an old classic is let it set.
Couldn’t agree more. Whether the car is new or old, running and driving it often keeps things lubricated and moving freely and encourages things to not seize up on a guy. However I wish I personally adhered to it more myself. Life gets in the way of me doing that as often as I like and should. But generally speaking I try to check the critical fluids like oil and coolant before I start it each time. And check transmission fluid about every 2 or 3 trips(she’s a leaker). I keep a drip pan under her. A battery tender is on her when she’ll be sitting for a few days. And when I have it up in the air to change the oil once a season I’ll check fluid level in the rear end and grease up the front end and u-joints. I’ll check tire pressure once or twice a season. And I’m always on the lookout for fluid leaks and tires that look like they’re getting low. I’m the guy in the Walmart parking lot that’s staring under his car as he approaches it to leave, to see if any fluids leaked while he was in the store. And wondering if that oil spot was from me or the guy who parked there before me LOL.

I am terrible. Mine sit in the storage garage until I want to drive them. I start them up and drive away. As long as there's no puddle on the floor when I back out all is good.

Open hood.. connect battery.. close hood.. start and drive.
Same here on the classic cars. Every now and then check the fluids just because. Top off anything if needed.
Daily drivers about once a month I check everything.

Ill give them a cursory look when i walk in the garage. And make sure no puddles when i back out.
If all is good.
Close garage door and poof....im gone.

The hemi car i do have to keep an eye on oil level every couple hundred miles or so. It uses it..doesnt leak it.

every spring i go over the hole car before I start driving it for the summer because it sits all winter

My Chevy, constant check, My Mopar, never.

Agreed!
Can’t let a car sit it’s the worse

Couldn’t agree more. Whether the car is new or old, running and driving it often keeps things lubricated and moving freely and encourages things to not seize up on a guy. However I wish I personally adhered to it more myself. Life gets in the way of me doing that as often as I like and should. But generally speaking I try to check the critical fluids like oil and coolant before I start it each time. And check transmission fluid about every 2 or 3 trips(she’s a leaker). I keep a drip pan under her. A battery tender is on her when she’ll be sitting for a few days. And when I have it up in the air to change the oil once a season I’ll check fluid level in the rear end and grease up the front end and u-joints. I’ll check tire pressure once or twice a season. And I’m always on the lookout for fluid leaks and tires that look like they’re getting low. I’m the guy in the Walmart parking lot that’s staring under his car as he approaches it to leave, to see if any fluids leaked while he was in the store. And wondering if that oil spot was from me or the guy who parked there before me LOL.
Same here I’ll walk around it before I go in the store and I’ll check it again from different angles before I leads

I always disconnect the negative cable battery cable when I park the cars in the garage.

I check the oil and coolant, connect the negative cable, fire them up, back them out, look on the garage floor for any leaks, and away we go.

I always disconnect the negative cable battery cable when I park the cars in the garage.

I check the oil and coolant, connect the negative cable, fire them up, back them out, look on the garage floor for any leaks, and away we go.
Have you been watching me? LOL! Identical procedure here. I use knife switches to disconnect my negatives on all of them. Oil and coolant every time.

A walk-around, along with coolant and oil levels, every time. If I'm thinking about it, I'll leave the garage door closed and check the lights, too; then open the door, start the car and go.

The Coronet gets a power steering fluid check every time it goes out. Got a leaky seal on that...since 1993 or so...yeah, I know, fix the damned thing already! I do have an NOS PS pump rebuild kit from Chrysler that I bought in 1993 that probably needs to be installed. Sometime...!

A ground disconnect switch is a good idea, as well. Might do that to the oldies this Fall.

Do you look under the cat ? Check fluid ?

Thanks

Funny you mention "cat" (I know you meant to type "car")...in 1986, after I went out to start my D150 on a cold day, I hear a MEOWWHATTHEFUCKOWOWOW!, saw fur fly from under the hood, and silence. Ah hell, I killed my cat! Popped the hood and saw fur, two flipped belts, and no cat. Guess I mutilated little Al! No, he was up in the fenderwell, looking at me and cursing the very ground I'm standing on! Bent his right ear, took a big hunk of fur out of his neck and tail, and really pissed him off...but no permanent damage to the cat. Scared the crap out of me, too!

Yes, I check to ensure my cat isn't under the hood, too!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back