• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How stiff rear leaf springs

Dave383

Local time
4:23 PM
Reaction score
Hi, what rear springs would you put on 67 Charger with 383 and suregrip? I am pretty much settled on Eaton Detroit Springs but not sure about wheel rate of the springs.

Previous owner switched front torsion bars from factory 0.88" (100 lb/in wheel rate) to 0.96" (~150 lb/in WR) and left the stock sagged leafs in the back but I want to restore factory height.
Eaton Detroit recommended going with 113lb/in WR springs instead of factory 90lb/in WR but that will make back 32% softer than front compared to factory Mopar setup that was only 10% softer in the back compared to front.
I can also order 130lb/in WR springs with 6 or 7 springs used for 440 and HEMI cars but it may be too stiff. What do you think? Maybe going with dual 6 leafs as I have much less torque compared to HEMI?

My target is better control of the car in bends but to keep it comfortable. I actually really like feel of the 0.96" bars in the front. They feel more like 80s euro cars then 50s american :D.

I've never had a set of Hemi springs on a 67 B body (new or old) that felt to stiff. I think you can go to stiff, but not in any stock configuration springs.

You could also go the inexpensive route and just have the springs re-arched. I did and I'm happy with the height. I can't compare the ride with aftermarket because I've never tried them.

Ive installed several sets of Eaton springs. A,B,E body cars.
For a 67 Coronet and my 63 Belvedere we went with 100 lbs over stock with a 2'' drop.
Always been pleased with that combo.Photo of my 63 (with a 30'' tall tire)and a 'Cuda we did( 27 1/2'' tire)
All had a nice ride never stiff. Just a thought.We ran basic Monroe shocks. Tried KYB's on several cars and the ride was harsh.Careful on the shocks you choose.

IMG_2966.jpg
100_1169.JPG

The 63 with a 26'' rear tire was too small looking.
IMG_0011.jpg

You could also go the inexpensive route and just have the springs re-arched. I did and I'm happy with the height. I can't compare the ride with aftermarket because I've never tried them.
I looked into re arc of leaf springs. The quote for re arc and new front bushings was $800. Mopar performance XHD leaf springs from summit shipped was around $560.

The last set I got from Eaton was in the $550 range.Shipping charges are tough.
I see you are from a far away land.

looked into re arc of leaf springs. The quote for re arc and new front bushings was $800. Mopar performance XHD leaf springs from summit shipped was around $560.

Wow! I went to a local shop in Akron, and it was under $200. Lots of guys go to them for re-arching.

I've not had the best of luck with re arching springs. Seems like if they have sagged once, they do it again in a year. I always buy the 6/7 Hemi springs and don't think they are to stiff at all.

Last edited:
I would go with Eatons recommendation. The front bars are not huge.
If you stiffen the back of the car to much it will bounce around at the front terribly.
These older rear wheel drive cars are easier/better to drive if the rear is "looser" than the front.
Get a set of goods shocks as well. Cheap is hardly ever good.

The last set I got from Eaton was in the $550 range.Shipping charges are tough.
I see you are from a far away land.

Shipping is expensive as f.... for heavy and long parts. Springs are unfortunately both :).
I am investigating re-arching locally but I don't expect much. Almost everything under 6000 lbs on our roads rides on coil springs so finding someone that can do quality work for reasonable money is not great.

I was quite lucky and previous owner used adjustable red KONI shocks on all 4 corners. Not much red left on them after use in Canadian winter but they work fine. I can even get new ones locally because KONI is Dutch company.

I was quite lucky and previous owner used adjustable red KONI shocks on all 4 corners. Not much red left on them after use in Canadian winter but they work fine. I can even get new ones locally because KONI is Dutch company.
Even better...KONI shocks are rebuildable.

Auto Transport Service
Back