• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to care for original upholstery?

Dakotaacres

Local time
12:45 AM
Reaction score
vinyl upholstery in my 68 is in really good shape except for the drivers bucket. Anyone have any suggestions on how to care for it? I'm concerned with the possibility of it drying out and cracking after using a cleaner on it.

Dish soap and water. I started using that on my interior. I think the idea is to just clean it. That's what my research into the matter turned up.

I think Armour All works as well. You can clean it reall well, buy a big jug slather it on and put cling wrap on it and let it soak.

vinyl upholstery in my 68 is in really good shape except for the drivers bucket. Anyone have any suggestions on how to care for it? I'm concerned with the possibility of it drying out and cracking after using a cleaner on it.
Boom

23dbefee-2011-4a99-809f-fcd969bd8694_1.b18414673d807b651c379df82749d53f.jpg

be careful with original upholstery. I tore the stitching when i place my knee's on the backseat to clean the back window.

be careful with original upholstery. I tore the stitching when i place my knee's on the backseat to clean the back window.
.....yes sir, those threads were probably nylon back in the day.....my 67 Coronet 440 car seats were crispy initially, but using a good conditioner and some patience, and the Texas sun....got them supple as J Lows butt. Did I just say that....?

Yep... you saw my "fix' for that? :) Still holding after all the Bridesmaids where in the back and a trip to 'Dega and back.
superbirdcleanup2019part2 045.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 048.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 050.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 081.JPG

Pretty neat trick! How did you keep the sections 'together' so they'd mate or not separate? Or was the split mating enough after no pressure on the seat if I'm saying this right?
The 4 or 5 lb bucking bar is holding the seam nicely together while the liquid vinyl cures. Fixed my torn door card as well, from someone being overzealous to get the rear seat in or out in years past. Not perfect, but doesn't stand out anymore. You can get liquid tape in various colours. Black, White, Red for sure.
superbirdcleanup2019part2 030.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 032.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 033.JPG
superbirdcleanup2019part2 034.JPG

The 4 or 5 lb bucking bar is holding the seam nicely together while the liquid vinyl cures. Fixed my torn door card as well, from someone being overzealous to get the rear seat in or out in years past. Not perfect, but doesn't stand out anymore. You can get liquid tape in various colours. Black, White, Red for sure.
View attachment 962479 View attachment 962481 View attachment 962482 View attachment 962484
Thanks much. Yeah, I have a small split on my driver seat and nice to have a way to stave off more major repairs since the upholstery is still in good shape overall. And ahhh...nice to know I can get the stuff in red.

Auto Transport Service
Back