• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to correctly measure wheel width?

MoparGuy68

Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score
My car has 14" Rallye wheels on it. 245/60/14 Radial T/A tires. I'm trying to determine what their width is. The previous owner thought they were 6" wide but wasn't sure. What is the correct way, or best way to measure wheel width without dismounting the tires? I know the factory stamped a size on the inside of the wheel, but no way to see it without dismounting the tire.

From outermost edge to outermost edge of the wheel, I measured 7". Measuring from the inner edge to inner edge (marked with a straight edges in my photos) I am getting 6.25". So maybe from the inside of each inner edge would be 6".

Backspace measures 4" from hub mounting surface to outermost edge of wheel. Backspace measures 3.75" from hub surface to outer side of inner edge of wheel (indicated by the inner straight edge, in the photo that shows two straight edges together).

The trim rings that were mounted on the wheels measure 2" deep. There is a small visible gap between the trim ring and the wheel, as seen in my photos.

Do you guys think these are 6", 6.5" or 7" wide?

IMG_1907.jpg IMG_1911.jpg IMG_1912.jpg IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1917.jpg IMG_1921.jpg IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1923.jpg

My ones have it stamped on the back of the wheel....but I'm not 100 percent certain where they came from. A 6 inch wheel will be six inches measuring from one vertical tyre beading surface to the other...so it's tyre off job to be sure...but your measurements look close enough to say it's a 6 incher. In this pic it "rim width"...not overal rim width.
wheel_offset.gif

yd1aNWPvRMoSWACr7

Last edited:
Thanks. Looks like they are 14x6 then. As you can see in my photo with the measuring tape, backspacing is 4”. Coker Tire’s repro 14x6 big bolt Rallye wheels have 3.75” backspacing according to their website. Quarter inch less than mine. Wonder why mine are deeper at 4” ?

Auto Transport Service
Back