• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to determine wire size

Frankb

Local time
11:14 AM
Reaction score
I have a lot of primary wire in different gauges. Over the years the manufacture tags have gone missing. Is there an easy and reliable method to determine what gauge the wire is? How do you accurately differentiate say between 12-14 gauge? 16-18 gauge? 20-22 gauge? I have wire between 8 and 22 gauge. The wire is a combination of GXL and SXL. All is stranded. Thanks

You could look up the spec's and mic or caliper it; but what I've done in a crunch is use my wire stripper as a test. I bought a nice one a few years ago (great investment should a done sooner). I have enough wire laying around and have stripped it to find the perfecto 'strip'.

I did exactly that. My wire strippers are manufactured by Klein tools; they are good quality. I took a wire and it fit perfectly in the 14 gauge hole. When I measured the wire thickness with calipers it measured .080. From the information I got off the net 12 gauge is .0808. Hence my dilemma

I did exactly that. My wire strippers are manufactured by Klein tools; they are good quality. I took a wire and it fit perfectly in the 14 gauge hole. When I measured the wire thickness with calipers it measured .080. From the information I got off the net 12 gauge is .0808. Hence my dilemma
I ran into the exact same thing recently. Found a formula that told a guy what gauge wire he had. Did the math and the wire in question came up a #8 instead of the #10 it was supposed to be. This affected what size fusible link I used in series with it.

Wire strippers have zero to do with it. It is confusing but it mostly is about the diameter of the strand and how many strands.. It is a per foot race after that.

Do not put your herman size in wire calculation.

EkZky.png

I have a lot of primary wire in different gauges. Over the years the manufacture tags have gone missing. Is there an easy and reliable method to determine what gauge the wire is? How do you accurately differentiate say between 12-14 gauge? 16-18 gauge? 20-22 gauge? I have wire between 8 and 22 gauge. The wire is a combination of GXL and SXL. All is stranded. Thanks
IMO...
your best source for information that you seek, is the National Electrical Code or NEC latest edition, which lists the various wire sizes by AMPACITY, the amperage rating of a specific size wire (AWG or American Wire Gauge), with a listing of the specific wire's INSULATION TYPE, like THHN, THWN, MTW, PTFE (teflon), silicon or other thermoplastic insulation system, as each type has different THERMAL ratings. In the NEC guidelines, is a listing of the wire specific dimensions. There are other factors involved with selection such as temperature and if the conductor is in conduit or open air. Stranded and solid conductor wires are also listed. Google NEC for specific determinations.
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back