• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Heater Core

Bob M

Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
:(I have a 1972 Dodge Charger and I must remove the heater core and the ACEavporator core. Looking under the dash it looks like this will be a real job,has anyone done this I need all the help I can get. Do I have to take the entire dash out to get to the heater box under the dash?

I purchase a new Dodge chassis service manual that covers Chargers but in the heater section it dose not list Charger, but it list Coronet & Challenger the heater box looks like the one in my car,I just can't find a way to get the screws out of the top of the heater box.:(:(

Bob M

You don't have to pull the dash, but you will have to pull the entire heater box.

Wait till you see what that heater core looks like:no:

:grin::grin:Finaly got it out it wasn't to bad after I started but took a while and I am glad that is out found a big mouse nest inside, now I will get the heater core tested and cleaned, I am going to try to find some company local that will test and clean the AC evarpator as the car has been setting at least three years with the evap. lines off.
Bob M

:grin::grin:Finaly got it out it wasn't to bad after I started but took a while and I am glad that is out found a big mouse nest inside, now I will get the heater core tested and cleaned, I am going to try to find some company local that will test and clean the AC evarpator as the car has been setting at least three years with the evap. lines off.

Just take it to the radiator shop. They can test it for ya. Also make sure to check that heater valve that's inside the box, and "in front of" the core.

theheaterboxguy

:(I have a 1972 Dodge Charger and I must remove the heater core and the ACEavporator core. Looking under the dash it looks like this will be a real job,has anyone done this I need all the help I can get. Do I have to take the entire dash out to get to the heater box under the dash?

I purchase a new Dodge chassis service manual that covers Chargers but in the heater section it dose not list Charger, but it list Coronet & Challenger the heater box looks like the one in my car,I just can't find a way to get the screws out of the top of the heater box.:(:(

Bob M
Bob
I'm more into the computers, but I'm helping out a buddy that's into the heater cores especially the B bodies. He's a bit leary of working on Ac but from what I've seen of his work, I think he could handle it. Ive created a webpage with the info that you would need to contact him. Give him a try maybe tyou guys can work something out.
visit my youtube page and chech out the two videos I've done for him

http://www.youtube.com/user/geneb53
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze741nh/richrynkiewiczsclassiccarsnanticokepa2/

Gezzz, had to wait 50 seconds, but it was certainly worth it!

Bob M
I restored mine two years ago. Not really as bad as it looks. Least you have the box out of the dash. Label and take pictures of everything before tearing it apart. Got a heater core from Oriellys cheap (Most parts houses should have them). I even got a new Evaporator for it as well.

I took the box apart. Cleaned the entire box with soap and water in the bath tub..Lol. Took all of the doors out, media blasted and painted them, intalled new gaskets and seals from DMT (Jim has an awesome kit!). Applyied just a clear coat to the outside of the box and re-installed everything. I must say, and others too, the box looks GREAT.

69 a/c drain tubes

i`m going thru my 69 gtx a/c unit...i`m having problems replacing the copper drain tubes mine were kind of bent up so i yanked them, didnt want to chance a leak into the car. ANYWAY I thought the tubes were silver soldered into the drain pan. But i was wrong the silver solder wont stick very well to the steel. Next i`m going to try to braze them and see how that works after i mig in some patches and redrill where the old tubes attach. I did find a flaring tool does a great job on the new copper..the original copper was the bendable type - well i`m going with the thicker walled hard tube 3/8 i.d. If the brazing doesnt work i`m going to use a laith to custom size some steel tubes and mig em in.

does anybody know how these tubes were attached originaly?

also i`m going to move the temp. control valve under the hood where it should have been in the first place, instead of in the box with rubber hoses and o rings...i would like to know what moron dreamed this design up!

Got it finished today some good old 45% silver brazing rod with flux coating worked like a dream....it was 52 $ for a pack of 9 sticks but well worth it. So that must have been close to what chrysler used originaly... I answer my own questions alot.

I used harris saftey-silv 45 part# 76324

In the next few days i`m going to jump on that heater core and eliminate the internal heater control valve and move it under the hood where it should be . I dont want to have to mess with this a/c heater box again EVER!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back