• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to Install Metal Railing Into Concrete

Dibbons

Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
We have a 16 bare concrete step staircase that needs finishing. First step I suppose will be railing, or maybe we should tile it first?

Last edited:
you could hammer drill the hole first, if your concrete can handle it, then you would have to cut the tiles around it. With proper layout of the railing , and tile size you may be able to get it close to land on a grout joint which would allow you to cut a u around each side, which in turn would be more appealing to the eye without an out of place grout joint on a tile cut to fit around the rail. Then no risk popping off tile when drilling holes. jmo good luck.

I would have a railing made or bases cut off that can be dropped straight into drilled holes! do your tile then drill the tile and concrete,set your rail! nice clean installation

I’d use a diamond tipped hole saw for the tile instead of a hammer drill on the tile.

I’d use a diamond tipped hole saw for the tile instead of a hammer drill on the tile.
Absolutely, these can be rented and almost guarantee that you won't chip a tile. One thing I would add is since they don't have a centering drill cut the same size hole in a piece of plywood big enough that you can stand on so the holesaw isn't skating around on your tile.

I've knew that would get things started

Auto Transport Service
Back