• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Remove A/C From Under a '64 Plymouth Dash

Al K

Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
OK;I'm tired of trying to deal with my wiring issues under the dash,and have all the a/c equipment in my bloody way. Short of a torch or a Sawzall(don't tempt me...),is this stuff easy to remove? My manuals(both an original and a repro) show absolutely nothing about removing this crap,and I'd like it GONE! I see some bolts and plenty of screws,but don't want to just start removing things without knowing why or what.

Any suggestions,mates?

Hey Al.There are probably guys on the board that know a lot more about a/c than I do, but I will try to get you started. I'm guessing that the a/c doesn't work now. Do you know if it has any refrigerant in it? There should be a Schrader valve (looks like a tire valve) in one of the lines that you can CAREFULLY check for pressure. Wear safety glasses, give the little stem in the valve center a little push to see if there is any R-12 left in the system. If there is pressure left in the system, you are supposed to take it to a shop to have the R-12 captured (the eco way to do it) but that's your call. If there is no pressure left in the system, you are home free to remove the a/c system.
As far as the electrical is concerned, a black wire coming off the fuse block on the acc tab to the back of the heater/ a/c control provides power to the whole system. Once it's unplugged you can unplug everything connected to the ac components and remove them. If you plan on keeping the heater/ defroster I think that you can just leave the evaporator in the heater box and disconnect the lines. A factory service manual for a 64 would be very helpful for this job. Hope this help a little.

is this a factory AC system aftermarket, or dealer installed?

pics would be a plus here...if it's an under dash style, I might be interested in it

Bryan

Factory a/c,and I'm looking to remove it without damage so I can offer it to someone else. I'll get better pics out later today.

004_zps9b182a50.gif

005_zpsb88230bd.gif

Still have most of the "boxes" and hoses underneath the dash;I removed the vents and some other accessible items.

Remove your gauge pod and console. Remove the A/C lines, heater hoses, air vent ducting, vacuum controls etc. The evap unit is bolted directly to the firewall. I will eventually "slide" out of there. PS ... you won't have a heater any more.

Did some further digging in my factory manual,and there are instructions on removal of numerous items. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh;I really don't need a heater,but having one might come in handy at some point. Something for me to consider.

You have to decide what's best for you Al. I removed the heater from my 64 Belvedere several years ago and I don't miss it a bit. I live up here north of Seattle so it can get cold and nasty but I have the luxury of driving other vehicles in bad weather. Even in the dead of winter we occasionally get some nice days, so I can just roll up the windows for some solar heating. I get some good heat thru the floor from the headers too. Some state laws require a defroster in any vehicle, but unless you have to get an inspection I've never heard of anyone being buster for not having one.

Auto Transport Service
Back