• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to remove inner seal in speedometer gear housing?

BigFlo

Local time
12:59 PM
Reaction score
How do you remove the snap ring that holds the inner seal in the speedo gear housing?

IMG_3065.jpeg

Insert the speedometer pinion into the seal backwards and tip it a little sideways to pop it and the seal out together. Note the lip on the seal faces inward. I use a 11/32 " nut driver to push the seal in followed by the snap ring. The ring is only using its expanding force/friction to hold the seal in, there is no snap ring groove.
Mike

Aha - thought there was a groove for the snap ring. Thanks!!

I just used a dental pick!

And do me a favour and get that ring off while working in the shop.... I have a buddy that cauterized his finger off on a starter lug and a father in law that lost 1/2 his finger in a machine all because they got married...

I ended up using a dental pick also, once I knew there was no groove. Inserting the pinion backwards didn’t work for me or I was doing it wrong.

I just used a dental pick!

And do me a favour and get that ring off while working in the shop.... I have a buddy that cauterized his finger off on a starter lug and a father in law that lost 1/2 his finger in a machine all because they got married...
Noted on the ring - just habit. I wear gloves and took them off to take the picture.

Yup just a slip ring with slight tension on it. I used to work at a GM dealer rebuilding automatics and in the late 80's they had a lip seal in some of the cars, came with all the overhaul kits. I believe it is for late 80's camaro, don't have a part number right now. I would throw all the extra seals/stuff in a box.
100_1940.jpeg

I started putting them in chryslers, they fit perfect, with little oil they push in snug by hand. They have a spring loaded lip so they seal a lot better. Note can only use them on steel gears, chews the plastic one up quick. I think the red ones are GM and the black ones are aftermarket?
100_1941.jpeg

You have to watch how far you push it in, just enough to cover the first surface on the gear. I have one in my 1957 international 300 utility tach drive. Zero leaks.
100_1942.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back