• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to replace or jump dimmer switch?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm talking about this switch:

That i will try to replace on my 1969 dodge charger r/t 440 with rallye gauge cluster tomorrow.
I looked at a few pictures of the cluster and assume i will be able to replace this without pulling the cluster? (By reaching and pulling the switch out behind the dash)

If i should not be able to get it out i would like to jump it so it's always on full bright.

Which of these pins would i have to connect with each other in order to do so?
MB169515.jpg

I'm not going to pull the gauge cluster as long as i have dash lights in the night.
Would be nice but i do not necessarily need the ability to dimm them.

Remember your motor mount rant? Don’t even start in on the dash cluster.

Remember your motor mount rant? Don’t even start in on the dash cluster.

Unfortunately i really need the dash lights because i will be driving a lot after dark.

I think you seriously consider selling the Charger.

I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary problems like breaking 50 year old plastic by pulling it apart if i don't have to.

Can someone tell me which of these pins on the dimmer switch

MB169515.jpg

I need to connect with each other in order to jump the dimmer switch?
I would like to do this first in order to confirm that this really is causing the "no dash lights" issue.

I found this post right here:

I CAN'T read schematics but to me it looks like i need to put a wire between connector I and R on the dimmer switch?

Well guys i will get myself a bit of sleep and then later give this a try.

I will go ahead and start off by directly connecting prong R and I on the dimmer switch

MB169515.jpg

like described here:

If this should be wrong PLEASE let me know within the next 10-15 hours, thanks.
I don't want to short something out.

You should be able to trace the wires to the plug by the FSM wiring diagram, where they run and what is power in/power out to light bulbs.

I did this years ago with a car. What I remember is making a short length of wire with a spade connector on each end, pulling the plug off the switch and connecting 2 of the terminals on the plug (not the switch). I can't remember which 2 terminals though. Trial and error will work, you won't create a short.

I'm talking about this switch:

I looked at a few pictures of the cluster and assume i will be able to replace this without pulling the cluster? (By reaching and pulling the switch out behind the dash)

That might not be the case.
Today i was laying under the dash @ 110F inside the cabin trying to reach this switch but i wasn't able to get a good sight or let alone reach it.

Is there a way to replace or at least bypass it without pulling half the dash apart or do i really have to pull the cluster if i want to replace that switch?
I need the dash lights so i have no choice but to fix this.

I'm not lazy just afraid to break the 50 year old plastic when pulling it apart. (It would be the first time that i do that)

I might be mistaken BUT ... the dimmer is controlled by a rheostat (the coiled thing). So you have one terminal that is 12v in and one terminal that is ??v out from the rheostat which determines the dash brightness. The third terminal - again unless I'm mistaken - is full 12v to your dome light. So you can get full 12v to the dashbay switching connectors BUT you'll lose the dome light completely.

The FSM can probably tell you which connectors do what.

I might be mistaken BUT ... the dimmer is controlled by a rheostat (the coiled thing). So you have one terminal that is 12v in and one terminal that is ??v out from the rheostat which determines the dash brightness. The third terminal - again unless I'm mistaken - is full 12v to your dome light. So you can get full 12v to the dashbay switching connectors BUT you'll lose the dome light completely.

The FSM can probably tell you which connectors do what.

According to this post i can also jump these two wires

But read my last post, the problem is it looks like i can't reach the switch.
So what i currently want to know is if there's a way to reach it without pulling the cluster or not.

If somebody knows a way to replace or bypass it without pulling the gauge cluster please let me know, thanks!
Otherwise i will have to pull it apart but i would like to avoid that if possible.

I also want to note that my car has A/C so there is this little vent on the lower left side of the dash:
1969-dodge-charger-interior.jpg

Behind that is a "hose" that takes up quite a bit of space.

This vent isn't there on non a/c cars so i suspect there also isn't a space uptaking "air hose" behind it then?
1969-500-charger-classic-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Did someone ever manage to replace or bypass that dimmer switch on a car with a/c without pulling the gauge cluster?
If so please let me know how you did it, thanks!

Switches are basically the same across models but I don't know **** about rallye dashes.

Auto Transport Service
Back