• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to replace pin/wire on engine wiring harness terminal?

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
The insulation on my fusible link is coming apart so i have to replace it.

I ordered a new one that looks like this
MB1803.jpg

How do i get the pin/connector from the old fusible link wire
F198655033.jpg

Out of the terminal?
bwt8.png

We really tried but had to stop because we didn't want to risk damaging the terminal.
A quick search on my iphone (while working on the car) didn't help to figure it out.

How in the world do i get this old fusible link pin out of the plastic terminal?

There is a tool to remove it. I can't remember where I got mine.

I use a jewlers flat blade screwdriver and slide in from the bulkhead side of the plug, along the side of the thin leg of the blade terminal and pry the leg over to release it from the notch in the plug body. Pull it out from the wire side. If you need to remove one and reinstall the same terminal be sure to spread the thin leg on the terminal back so that it catches in the plug.

I write too much which slows me down.

Thanks.
Are you sure i will be able to fit a jewelers screw driver on the side that faces the bulkhead?
It looks like there isn't any space left and right from the pin: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/attachments/102_7238-jpg.1260638/

But this post seems to be a great idea since i do not need to reuse the pin, wish i had found that earlier when i was working on the car.

You don't need a tool. Push wire into connector from rear, bend tab with small screwdriver, pull terminal from rear of connector. When reinserting bend tab back out, push terminal into connector until it clicks, tug slightly on wire to ensure seated.

Ok i will try this tomorrow. :)
I will just cut like suggested here if i have any trouble since i got (and will use) a replacement anyway:

If there wasn't room for a jewelers screw driver to fit in there then you'd never get it to mate with the female bulkhead connector!

Small needle nose pliers from the spade end not the wire end. Squeeze and pull the wire end.

Don and Kid have shown you the way.
I used a small needle nose 15 times in the last few weeks.

For the female connector you push the locking tab down from the inlet side, aka rear. For those it helps to push the wire into the connector while doing that so the tab isn't up against the inside of the connector. Those I did 45 times.

Today we managed to replace the fusible link by cutting the pin. (It still did not come out easy, though.)

I figured i will buy myself 2 sets of these Engine Bulkhead Connector Insulator Terminal Kit Fits 66-70 B-Body 67-74 A-Body | eBay
and keep practising in case i will have to do this again at some point.
Who builds the best reproductions? Is the one from the link a good choice?

There is a tool to remove it. I can't remember where I got mine.

I would also like to know which tool this is and where i can buy it.

Edit:

We tried the other methods suggested but did not succeed.
Hence while i want to keep practising this.

Last edited:
Here you go.

auto terminal removal tool - Google Search

But I’ve removed a fair number of these and never needed more than a small screwdriver.

I thought he was talking about a special mopar tool.
Well in this case i also think it won't beat a jewlers screwdriver.

I will get me 2 of these and practise:
Just don't know who sells the best quality ones.

Just about all the terminals (male and female) secure either with a little barb on the top of female ones that can be depressed with a small screwdriver, or the little leg on the male terminal that catches on the plug. The turn signal switch plug uses kind of a rectangular barrel clip but they use the same basic little barb that catches in the plug and has to be depressed for removal.

Auto Transport Service
Back