• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to restore a 71-72 Roadrunner / Satellite Grille

You went though a ton of work but restored it incorrectly??
72 Road Runner is a different grill, 72 Satellite is painted Grill Silver.
71 Road Runner is painted as shown from another poster, Grill Silver and Black.
What was the point of going to all that trouble to paint it Black again.
Ron

Yes i am aware of what it technically is supposed to be. This paticular restoration is for me and i am taking this project as far away from stock as i possibly can. This resto-mod pro touring setup will have a more modern feel and look. The silver would not look right nor fit the theme of this project, i purposely wanted a blacked out look. All of my elements behind the grille will be blacked out as well.

As for the 72 grille....not only do i not have $2000 to be spending on one, believe it or not i am probably one of the select few who actually prefer the sattelite grille. lol (ok now feel free to throw your stones)

I not throwing stones because I have a 72 Satellite and love the grill.
I was questioning you because the way I read your post it was a reference for people to follow when restoring said grill. You know the internet, there's a guy in his garage somewhere stripping the silver off his Grill because he saw it painted Black on the internet!!!
The work you did was time consuming and very nice

the throwing stones reference is more for those who dislike the idea of a 72RR with a satellite grille. And the fact that i prefer the satellite grille definetly puts me amongst the minority lol. But i think everything will look good and come together in the end.

If anything, my original intentions were to provide the step by step methods i used. Because any color can be used to restore them, it was mostly a question of how to actually get it done. I suppose i could have been more specific in saying that...

"This is how I choose to restore these pieces based on my taste, however i encourge everybody to do his/her research into what the factory finish was for your particular application" ...

Thanx for the compliments!

Getting ready to do my 69 GTX grille this weekend, just purchased blaster & soda. Thanks for the info!

Auto Transport Service
Back