• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to run brkts consistently

440rb

Local time
11:46 AM
Reaction score
As I see it the way to run the number every time as I saw this weekend gone at our Doorslammers event and as I have always thought it to be was either to use a 2 step or a brake and take into account conditions of course, would you guys agree that was the best way, and I'm talking within a few 100ths.
Consistency at the hit is paramount as well as shift times where to stage etc, the number of cars I saw deep stage turning the top bulb out just made me shudder and the number of red lights was unprecedented, mind you its not often they get to run for such big money over here (once a year) so the guys were psyched up I guess.

The secret..... smaller motor on alky, big tires, loose convertor and then hold a few numbers and drive the stripe.

Smaller motor will not over power the tires/track for the conditions.
Alky will be more consistent and not be quite as reactive to Density Altitude changes.
Loose convertor soaks up any changes there may be by allowing the motor to drive through it some.

Holding a few hundredths in your pocket ensures you can cover the number. but you have to know when to dump them and let them take the stripe, its not something that can be learned in a weekend its years of doing to make that split second decision.

As for deep staging most likely they couldnt cut a light and needed to get closer, this will effect their ET some but it wont hurt consistency if they do it the same each time. It is very effective to a few big name bracket racers throughout the US that do this either footbraking or off a Trans Brake.

As for your mention of the brake - it definitely will be the most consistent leaving, however it will rely heavily on track conditions.....

There are 100 different ways to run the number It depends on:
*the ET of the car
*The rules
*The amount of money you want to spend
*Your emotions
*getting your head right for competition

EDIT: not caring who is in the other lane, it’s all about the time on the slip. When (or if) you finally get there ii is a great feeling.

there are hundreds of ways to loose by .001 also.
I watch in amazement at top sportsman and top dragster with 6 and 7 second quarter mile cars have .00 lights and run the dial, and one car loses!

Last edited:
Practice.

Ok lets put it this way, to make a consistent leave every time and run it out WOT to hit your dial within a few 100ths requires either a 2 step or brake over f/braking trying to leave@the same rpm whilst watching the tree....agree or not, assuming you do all the other things right like staging the same, burnout routine etc.

Ok lets put it this way, to make a consistent leave every time and run it out WOT to hit your dial within a few 100ths requires either a 2 step or brake over f/braking trying to leave@the same rpm whilst watching the tree....agree or not, assuming you do all the other things right like staging the same, burnout routine etc.
Disagree. If you cannot cut a consistently good light and run your number footbraking,
Then it might be time to see if a delay box and trans brake can help cover up the poor performance.

There is not just one way to make it happen. There are hundreds of ways to do it. NHRA Stock eliminator is foot braking and those folks can cut lights. No trans brakes, but two step allowed, not all use it. All different types of cars are winning and doing well.

Last edited:
There are some very good foot brake racers, more than you think.

I either run index (9.25) or brackets. Foot brake only, no starting line chip, 10.5 tires, push button trans, on gasoline. The car has been very successful. When running index, it is seldom is it off .02. 1/8 mile brackets it'll usually run within less than .01. You have to stay on the weather and track conditions. Learn the tree. Do everything the same every time. Does it always work, nope. But it's made it to the semi's or better in nearly 40% of the events during the 9 years it's been raced.
Doug

Seat time, seat time, seat time. You have to do enough of whatever your routine is, so that it becomes natural. Same thing is done each and every time you go up there.

Install a million dollars wort of electronics and sensors as well as an electronic eye to watch the tree. Drive the car to the line, turn on the sensors then, as the saying goes, sit down, hold on and shut up.

I stayed a foot brake guy for all my years. Build the car to be consistent. I didn't win all the time, but sure beat a lot of brake cars with 2 steps for many years. A consistent car, a practice tree will take you a long way. It does take lots of runs and knowing how to drive the last 50 feet. I was prone to red lights at the wrong time. But had my fair share of wins, some in the big race.
Edit: My '65 Coronet got to be really consistent, my Arrow was too. The car almost never lost a race, only the driver. I know other folks couldn't say that.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back