• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howard cams.

67coronetman

Local time
6:13 PM
Reaction score
I'm just curious out there who is using a Howard's cam setup in their motor whether it's hydraulic or solid lift I'm talking about a street motor more than a strip motor So if any of you all have good suggestions please let me know I've looked at a few but I'm always open to suggestions thank you very much.

None of the cam companies make their own cam cores...or lifters. Comp gets a bad rap....but they also sell more than everybody else.

I have a howards roller in my car but haven't started it yet so i'm no help. I will say though that i emailed howards twice with questions and they answered in minutes which i really like in a company.

That would be a long list on here, cause Hughes cams are using Howard’s .904 lifter grinds. You can find the specs of all the lobes on Howard’s site. I know one of the cam designer at Howard’s learned from one of the best….Harold Brookshire. He came over from Custom Camshaft Company when Howard’s bought them out. That was the last company Harold designed cams for, they were there at the same time.

The off the shelf Howard’s flat tappet cams (like from Jegs or Summit) are for .842 lifters, the roller selections are the same between brands. Flat tappets from Howard’s usually open and close slower than something from Comp cams, but will be aggressive over the nose of the cam, especially the .904 tappet profiles like Hughes use’s.

Last edited:
I have a howards roller in my car but haven't started it yet so i'm no help. I will say though that i emailed howards twice with questions and they answered in minutes which i really like in a company.
Thanks I am looking at the Howard cams solid lift cam..

For SFT Howard’s has standard .842 (catalog cams from Competition products, Summit and Jegs), custom they have tight lash .842”, .875”, and .904” profiles (Hughes), and several square lobe flat tappets for racing. Plus some late profiles Brookshire designed that came over from CC co. Would need to be more specific if you want to narrow a good SFT down. Lots of options.

Thanks I am looking at the Howard cams solid lift cam..
I've used 2 Howards flat tappet solids and both of them are still going strong. I advice you to fill out the cam order form and take their advice on a grind for your engine. I didn't take the advice on the first one and wound up with a cam that was a great race cam but had too much duration for a street cam. Get the EDM lifters and follow the cam break-in procedure and your cam will live and give good performance.
I can't stress enough DO NOT OVER SPRING your cam and remove the inners for break in.

Gus

I have a big Howards solid flat tappet cam in my 512 in my 66, I also have a 500 with a Howards solid roller. As mentioned above, break the motor in on single valve springs and before break in do all your homework to get the motor to fire up as soon as possible on first start up.

Auto Transport Service
Back