• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howdy. New member with 70 Charger RT

Mike D

Local time
8:23 AM
Reaction score
Hello. Recently joined, my name is Mike out of Connecticut. I purchased a 70 charger rt from out west last year and have been doing metal work. I've been lurking here for a while picking up tips, but I am also going to be posting soon looking for parts.

My charger is a numbers matching RT, 440 with the 727, and I'm just going for a rough driver. It runs and drives and is solid, but I am doing some patchwork on the rear quarters and around the back window. Trunk pan. Its alot more work than just replacing the quarters, but I like the original haggard driver look more than something nice that I would never drive. Plan is to strip off the primer in places and touch up the paint trying to preserve as much original as possible. I'll replace the entire interior, and drive it.

charger.jpg

Welcome from the central coast of Cal. I think the Beastie Boys mention you in Paul Revere.

IMG_4147.jpeg

Good luck with that

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

welcome to FBBO nice looking charger project

Welcome, great car for a project. Git yer hammer & dolly ready for that fender, ya ain't gittin' another one anywhere.

Welcome to the jungle, man.
I'm with you on the haggard part....

JF 7.JPG

I call this car "Jigsaw" because it was being parted out, I bought it as a partially stripped carcass and I'm piecing it back together with pieces from several different cars.
Good luck to you.

Prescott.....
I hear locals pronounce it Press KITT. It is clearly spelled with an O in the name. A guy from Phoenix made an excellent point...The people in Scottsdale don't tell people that they live in SKITTSdale, do they?

01 face 2.png

Ha ha....The man validated what I was thinking.
Carry on.

Welcome from Alabama, complete restoration or not, they can be driven and still look great.
20211203_143450.jpg
20190425_172806.jpg

Prescott.....
I hear locals pronounce it Press KITT. It is clearly spelled with an O in the name. A guy from Phoenix made an excellent point...The people in Scottsdale don't tell people that they live in SKITTSdale, do they?

View attachment 1610690

Ha ha....The man validated what I was thinking.
Carry on.
Hey. they may pronounce it funny but it's a decent area.. A little more altitude so it's considerably cooler...

I've been there. I agree, it is a nicer place than Phoenix.

Thanks everyone. I think every panel has dents in it so it will never be perfect, and I don't want it to be. I'll pull out what I can, fix the rust, and go from there. I'll try to post up some current pics with the progress. It is a california car so I'm happy with how it is actually for rust.

Previous owner used it to tow stuff around I guess. It didnt have a bumper on it and had a hitch instead. But it took a light hit in the back at some point messing up the sheet metal some. I'll pull all that out a bit too. It had lights mounted up high on the sail panel for rear visibility.

I'm going to need some random window trim pieces and a rear seat back only.

2023-08-29_20-04-59.jpg

2023-08-29_20-05-22.jpg

Welcome from New Zealand.

I love that haggard original look too. It screams, I don't give a _ _ _ _ what people think. It also shows an honest appreciation for what you have. Keep us posted on your progress.

Welcome to the site. I bought two 70 Charger R/T cars from California myself. Both needed some metal work,but nothing like the cars from around here!

20210925_145203.jpg

20221011_170016.jpg

20220925_200214.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back