• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Howl / Outer Drum Spring no longer required?

mrmolding

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
So I decided to stick with my 11x3 front drums since I plan on having more of a cruiser. The existing drums have a little meat left on them, but I noticed that ECS sells replacement 11" outer drum brake springs.
So I figured I'd see what is available in current aftermarket drums -- I found Bendix and Raybestos have repops in case I want to get something new. But their drums do not have the groove around the edge of the drum for the spring. It just curves upward with no groove.
Not sure if I've ever experienced drum brake "howl" and I know most go to discs these days, but did someone decide that these are no longer needed or are parts not up to snuff?

Never thought the springs really did anything worthwhile. Maybe keep the drum from expanding after a few hard stops?

The springs were used to "quiet" braking noise but, many styles didn't have one and still didn't make any noise.
Mike

I think the springs would help dissipate heat on repeated hard use! brakes would likely need to be real hot before they made any difference!

The springs were there to stop brake drum vibration which is the source of brake squeal, kinda like putting a finger on bell to stop it from ringing.

The springs were there to stop brake drum vibration which is the source of brake squeal, kinda like putting a finger on bell to stop it from ringing.

A very interesting thought. I always thought squeal was from the drum & shoe contact. But I'm good with your theory.

Auto Transport Service
Back