• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hughes Engines Whiplash Cam

www.hughesengines.com

These HMC cams have bad-to-the-bone idle, very quick stop light to stoplight acceleration! Idles like a funny car but smooths out above 1600-1800 RPM.

These cams are designed to drive better than the sound would imply. These are killer cruising cams made for low compression (8:1-8.75:1) engines and are designed so the cylinder pressure will not be reduced (Torque Killer!) like other cams of this size or type.

Camshaft Technical Details

Intake Valve Lift 1.5 .518"
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .518"

Intake Duration at .050" 229° Exhaust Duration at .050" 242°

Lobe Separation Angle 107º

Sweet Spot RPM 1800-5200

Are you useing this low deck for a 440 motor ? Or do you use the high deck for 440 motor ?

I just put one in a 1977 440 that i rebuilt. I fired it up for the first time yesterday...holy **** it sounds awesome! It literally pounds the ground w/ open exhaust, to the point where a Ford Lighting olt model car jumped to it's death from a shelf in the garage as the car idled! lol
I have to finish tuning the car in but so far I do like it. A side note though; I had to have the last two bearing surfaces of the cam turned because they were fifteen hundreths larger than my original cam...the cam journals were on the tight side & the cam was on the large side. It was the perfect combo to ruin my day!

I installed the Whiplash last November. I too really like it. Took some tuning to get things right. Needed more air/fuel and timing. The ol' 383 gets with it darn hard now. I shift at 6k. FYI, the heads have been worked over. Idle is rather mean sounding.

Anyone have any recent good/bad input on this line of cams? It sounds very tempting and quite possibly an endeavor I may be interested in taking on. I am a bit concerned about that conflict with the cam bearing.....apparently this is more common than I thought it to be.

I put one in a 77 .030 over 440, basically a stock rebuild otherwise. 452 heads, stock springs and rockers, performer intake and 750 Edlebrock carb.. Has a wicked sound. Haven't put it to the test yet but the "round the block" rides are impressive for the low compression engine. Lots of torque! Tuning is trickery with the a/f mixture, vacuum and timing. I very happy with it.

Hear it here, Big Block.

[video=youtube;zM-c6KP7TuQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM-c6KP7TuQ[/video]

Well, it happened before I could make an absolute decision. The wife and kids bought me a Whiplash stick for Father's Day. Hard to believe that price is just for the cam. Regardless, I have it. The motor I have to slip it into has a fresh VooDoo stick in it now. I bet it don't have a hundred miles on it. I did consider saving this Whiplash for my fresh short block, but still on the fence about it. Needless to say, I will have to get lifters, springs, etc to make this swap "right". Have any of you guys had issues with any interference of retainers and guides/pistons to valves or anything like that?

Well, it happened before I could make an absolute decision. The wife and kids bought me a Whiplash stick for Father's Day. Hard to believe that price is just for the cam. Regardless, I have it. The motor I have to slip it into has a fresh VooDoo stick in it now. I bet it don't have a hundred miles on it. I did consider saving this Whiplash for my fresh short block, but still on the fence about it. Needless to say, I will have to get lifters, springs, etc to make this swap "right". Have any of you guys had issues with any interference of retainers and guides/pistons to valves or anything like that?

You said you have a voodoo now? I am thinking of the voodoo for my 383 rebuild, this one: Voodoo Hydraulic Flat Tappet - Chrysler 361-440 268/276

Is yours anything like that one? I am interested in knowing what it sounds like.

Sorry to hijack the whiplash topic, I think the whiplash sounds wicked, I was worried it might be a torque killer, I still would want a streetable and criusable car, so that's why I was thinking of the voodoo. But that last video sure has me thinking.

I have the 60302. Advertised duration is 262/268 with .475"/.494" lift. It is milder than I'm used to running inmy stuff, but not a bad cam at all. It seems to be quite street friendly. I think that is why the Whiplash caught my attention so fast. It sounds aggressive as hell and I love it. But my 383 appears bone stock. Even the factory intake. So that is where I am a little undecided about switching cams right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to post a video of my Charger for you once I get it back together.

I have the 60302. Advertised duration is 262/268 with .475"/.494" lift. It is milder than I'm used to running inmy stuff, but not a bad cam at all. It seems to be quite street friendly. I think that is why the Whiplash caught my attention so fast. It sounds aggressive as hell and I love it. But my 383 appears bone stock. Even the factory intake. So that is where I am a little undecided about switching cams right now.

- - - Updated - - -

I will try to post a video of my Charger for you once I get it back together.

The more I research the whiplash, the more I like it...The idea of keeping cylinder pressure up, and not losing torque, plus the fact it works on low compression motors..All good stuff.

If I had everything to do the job, I'd be sliding it in today. It's the most expensive stick I have ever bought, so I am going to make extra certain I follow their instructions so I don't screw it up. It will be in my engine soon though.

I was looking at this cam also.

I went with a Comp Cams XE 285HL based on recommendation from my engine builder.

Pretty awesome rumble at idle!

[video=youtube;MjeCyVvg4Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjeCyVvg4Ss[/video]

I was looking at this cam also.

I went with a Comp Cams XE 285HL based on recommendation from my engine builder.

Pretty awesome rumble at idle!

[video=youtube;MjeCyVvg4Ss]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjeCyVvg4Ss[/video]

Similar Cam. Awesome Car-Show rolling waves. 480 torque and 415 RWHP per chassis dyno. image.jpg
Comp. CRB XE275HL-10.

I am looking at installing my Whiplash finally, but I am slightly concerned with the distance between my retainers and guides. Have any if you had to have work done in there to free up some space. Plus, my 383 is a built, running engine. I have no way of checking piston/valve clearance without yanking a head. So I figured I would see if any of you dudes had input before I jumped into this project.

Auto Transport Service
Back