• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hughes Performance torque converters

Wietse

Local time
10:58 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just looking for some people with experience with Hughes Performance torque converters.
I have tried to contact them 2x to get some recommendation for a torque converter for my car but have not heard from them.
Not sure they are closed or out of business?
Since i do not have the extensive options here in Europe as you guys across the water, i have a "local" shop that can supply Hughes Performance torque converters, from what i read across the board people seem satisfied with them as a good quality build with a decent price.
I am not a racer, just a street bandit that likes to take off as i stole it but also like the long cruises around towns, but the converter should be giving no load at idle to allow my engine to idle easy....low vacuum problem :)
It is for a '69 Coronet R/T (440/727), which is about... 3000-3200lbs?

I am a bit in doubt choosing between the HUP-24-25 and HUP-24-30, either the 2500 stall or 3000 stall version.
I am running a 238/244 @ .050", .572/.576" 283/291 adv. 108 LSA Hughes engines camshaft with currently a 4.10 rear diff, which i might change for a 3.73 in the future.

Anyone here using the above mentioned torque converters on a 440 B-body?
Could you please leave a comment on your experience with it and let me know what cam and diff ratio you're having as well for a comparison.

I have a 10 inch hughes converter with the 2000 to 2400 stall. Mine feels just slightly better than stock,it is behind a 440. Good quality but yes hughes is almost impossible to reach. I bought mine through Summit.

You have a decent cam and rear gear the 3000 stall would be better for your setup. 440'

I am also leaning towards the 3000 stall version, but from what i read is that when selecting a too high stall the car also does not drive nice anymore but it believe that starts to happen with a 4000+ stall for a street car.
Just how to know what that converter is doing at say 50-60mph (2650/3200 rpm) cruising, i don't want it to become a heat pump due to excessive slipping.

Edit: These converters mentioned are 11" btw.

Give these guys a call. https://gopnh.com/ Buddy has a 3200-3500 in his 70 Bee with a 500 horse 440. It works well.

Last edited:
I had a hughes 3000 rpm stall in my 69 RoadRunner. It had a 493 inch stroker with 4.10 gears in it. I no longer own the car and do not recall the cam specs. It ran like a scalded cat. Never tracked it, but it would roast tires at will on the street. I purchased the converter directly through Summit. I was happy with it and given the same circumstances would purchase the same converter again.

Try Dominator torque converters in Australia.
I have used their products behind many engines naturally aspirated and supercharged.
The converters have always worked as designed and been very reliable.
Reasonable prices also.

Try Dominator torque converters in Australia.
I have used their products behind many engines naturally aspirated and supercharged.
The converters have always worked as designed and been very reliable.
Reasonable prices also.

The price will double due to shipping costs and import duties :(
There are many options out there but consider i am paying here 650 Euro for a HUP-24-25 Hughes Performance converter (ex. shipping) which is US $740 already.
A good TCI converter here costs 1200 euro (US$1365), these prices are because they buy in "bulk" which helps in reducing shipping costs per piece, its gonna cost me an arm and a leg though.

Yeah I get it. It is the same here by the time you get the part is is 2 or 3 times the purchase price in USD.
It baffles me at times why American cars are so popular here and in Australia given how costly they are. Same for you by the sounds of it.
The big advantage for me is the NZ dollar is very close to the Aussie dollar.
For you using Euro's you may be surprised how many Australian dollars you can buy for 1 Euro.

I would suggest the 3000 stall for that cam. Do not buy a TCI anything, I bought one once and it was total junk. My son has a Hughes in this truck behind a strong 440 and he's beaten it mercilessly for 6 or 7 years, highly recommended.

Sean the tree hugger.jpg

Funny that a lot of people do not recommend TCI and their converters are double the price of a Hughes converter.

Thats a good looking truck, btw.
To get a D100 or W100 truck here you are paying top dollar already nowdays.

I’ve used both the converters you listed in the first post. I currently have a 2500 Hughes behind my 440. When you have big cubes you don’t need as much stall unless your planning on running it down the track with sticky tires. I have a slightly smaller cam then you and 3.23 gears. 1st gear with my Mickey Thompson street tires is pretty much useless. If you mostly using th car in the street I’d probably go with a 2500 stall. If you wanting to race then go with a higher stall.

1st gear with my Mickey Thompson street tires is pretty much useless.

What do you mean? Smoking them tires in 1st gear already?
I had the 3000rpm in mind, though as you mentioned you don't need too much stall and going higher stall makes the car harder to drive on the street.
Does the 2500rpm stall put any load on the engine when in D and at idle?

What do you mean? Smoking them tires in 1st gear already?
I had the 3000rpm in mind, though as you mentioned you don't need too much stall and going higher stall makes the car harder to drive on the street.
Does the 2500rpm stall put any load on the engine when in D and at idle?
Yes it will spin at will in 1st.
I really like the 2500 stall. Feels allot like a stock converter. Take off lightly and doesn’t need any more rpm then a stock one would. But if you really step on it stalls at 2500 and will flats about 2700. So there is minor load at idle like a stock coverter. One of the reasons I prefer it over the 3000. It always needed a few hundred more rpm to start moving.

So the 3000 rpm will likely flash stall to 3200 or so behind a big block...
And i think i will have to replace the camshaft at some point also, i want something that gives a better vacuum and has less valve overlap so choosing a little lower stall speed should be ok.

First, your Coronet is a Lot closer to 4000 lb than 3000. My guess would be at least 3700. With that much duration at .050, I would undoubtedly get the 3000. (Among other things, less drag against the brakes at idle, more stable).
Just get a quality piece. I had a cheap converter that was the single WORST hi-performance part I have ever bought.

First, your Coronet is a Lot closer to 4000 lb than 3000. My guess would be at least 3700.

True, my bad. Those lbs weight always get me, i am a metric system guy.
But yes 3700 lbs would be about 1700 kilo.
Still have not heard from Hughes performance, didn't know they are so hard to reach...

Looking at Hughes Engines their website (i have the HE3844BL camshaft) they advise a 3000+ stall converter for the most nearest series camshaft, the SEH3642BL with 236/242 @ .050" lift.

In the future i might change the camshaft for a SEH3236BL, it has a little less duration and a bit more LSA and that still says 2800+ stall so i guess the HUP-24-30 would be the right choice to make.
And it also would be acceptable with a 3.73 rear ratio.

I understand that American hotrod parts are difficult to get, and VERY expensive in Europe. But I still think some shopping might be in order. I would email PTC torque converters in Muscle Shoals AL. I see LOTS of his decals on some of the fastest cars around, and I hear he is a Mopar lover. You might be able to get a custom for your car instead of an off-the-shelf.
The guys on Fastest Cars in the Dirty South (motor trend tv) are also from there, they all use PTC converters.

Bear in mind this is for a street car, i am not racing with it so i do not really need that top of the line.
Since i read so many people are happy with the Hughes Performance converters i was under the impression it would be something that would satisfy me as well against a fair price.

Auto Transport Service
Back