• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic roller lifter issues???

IMG_0365.JPG
Thanks for the replies everyone. Had to pull the driver's head to get to it as I could not get the valley cover out. I'll fix that issue from now on.

The culprit is a broken plunger spring.

IMG_0365.JPG

The internal lifter spring isn't a "loaded" item. So valve spring pressure should not have affected it. Just poor luck. Why couldn't you remove the valley plate?
Doug

The internal lifter spring isn't a "loaded" item. So valve spring pressure should not have affected it. Just poor luck. Why couldn't you remove the valley plate?
Doug
I tried beating it backwards but it was stuck, couldn't break the seal. I used a 5 lb hammer too. The Indy heads are larger dimensionally so I have to run a cast aluminum valley cover rather than the pan. The heads extend over the valley by approx 1/2" each side trapping it in. They make a valley cover with a window but it may not fit under the cross ram.

IMG_0367.JPG

Last edited:
I tried beating it backwards but it was stuck, couldn't break the seal. I used a 5 lb hammer too. The Indy heads are larger dimensionally so I have to run a cast aluminum valley cover rather than the pan. The heads extend over the valley by approx 1/2" each side trapping it in. They make a valley cover with a window but it may not fit under the cross ram.

View attachment 407465
Mine has -1 heads as well. I agree, it's tough to break the RTV loose, but not impossible. Cut the center of the plate and remove the ribs around the opening Then a fabbed cover will fit under a cross or an Indy 440-25. That's how mine is now.
Doug

E33.jpg

I just noticed something yesterday. The receipt that lists the cam, lifters, and valve springs, which was all bought together, shows that my lifters are only good for up to 360 pounds open pressure. I left a message and I'm waiting for a return phone call. Stay tuned

Last edited:
I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. Don't assume that a vendor sends you the correct parts. When I ordered my cam, it was selected for me based on my goals. The vendor shipped valve springs and lifters for this cam, as I did not select any part numbers myself. Apparently the lifters that were sent to me were the wrong ones and would never survive per conversation with them. After digging into my paperwork, I could've caught this because the lifters say that they are only rated for 360 pounds valve spring pressure. My springs are 555 pounds open. Case closed. Read your paperwork.

Tom

Last edited:
360 open? Roller cam?

Hell my flat tappet solid calls for 415 open.

Measured for new pushrods this morning and have a valley cover with access. That was dumb not putting that on before.

Anyways I opened up the bad lifter and you can see the bottom of the check valve retainer is partially separated from the plunger. I checked all my geometry before I took it apart with a dummy lifter and rocker height and push rod length are perfect.

Hopefully I'll be back on the road in a few weeks. Keeping the cam that's in it.

IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0720.JPG IMG_0721.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back